• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DT 466 International motor ?

citizensoldier

Ok you diesel pro's ! Whats the skinny on this engine? Think I could make one fit in a deuce? So far I have been told its a bullet proof engine, easy to find parts, hi RPM to match a deuce, and 150 HP stock. This would be a older version with a rotary injection pump. So do you think the oil pan will clear the pig or it can be modified to work? Any and all GOOD advice/ideas welcome.

jatonka

Hi CS, The DT 466 or the DT360 are good choices, They were proven in International construction equipment from the 60s into the 70s before being used in trucks. They were categorized as mid-range, pick-up and delivery diesels for a few years and then changed to Linehaul category engines in the 80s. My DT 466 in an 87 digger derrick makes 210 hp with turbo. It is hooked to an Allison Auto. The rig weighs 35,000# without the pole trailer. My bus has the DT 360 at 195 hp ATAAC, hooked to an Allison auto. It weghs 19,000# empty. This is the setup that will be in my next Jatonka 4x4 conversion truck. With the Ross hydraulic power steering. The oil pans will clear our Rockwell front axles. These DT engines also start unbelievably well in COLD weather. I think you are on the right track, John T

citizensoldier

Ahhh this is good news Obiwon Jatonka.. I was aware of the higher horspower units but might be able to get my hands on one for a good price.. Whats the bellhousing issues to a deuce overdrive trans? Or maybe another trans option that could be packed into the deuce? Dont think I want to go auto but if the right one shows up.. Maybe.. This is under consideration for a bobbed truck too. Should make a screemer..
A good friend (Dave P) said they ran these in trash trucks he drove for years. Lots of abuse and held up well. I am getting a bit down on the multis lately and ready for a runner. Cant seem to get over 40 thousand out of them buggers..

Mike_Pop

I had two International trucks. One with the DT360 and one with the DT466. They both proved to be very reliable. I didn't put a lot of miles on them since I switched over to a Mitsubishi truck that had 215hp and was faster than the Internationals.

jatonka

They run the same bell housing as the Spicer 3052 or 3053 A or B. You will keep the reducer ring on your bell housing for a DT engine. If you go big engine, you will remove the reducer ring. John T

joec

Re: RE: DT 466 International motor ?

citizensoldier said:
Ahhh this is good new Obiwon Jatonka.. I was aware of the higher horspower units but might be able to get my hands on one for a good price.. Whats the bellhousing issues to a deuce overdrive trans? Or maybe another trans option that could be packed into the deuce? Dont think I want to go auto but if the right one shows up.. Maybe.. This is under consideration for a bobbed truck too. Should make a screemer..
A good friend (Dave P) said they ran these in trash trucks he drove for years. Lots of abuse and held up well. I am getting a bit down on the multis lately and ready for a runner. Cant seem to get over 40 thousand out of them buggers..

See if you can find some surplus school busses. They have what you need and can get them whole for around 700 or so well maintaned...and cheap!

citizensoldier

RE: Re: RE: DT 466 International motor ?

Thats a good idea joeC.. Has anybody done this swap already? Maybe have pictures or can give a report on any problems they encountered? I am just collecting data on this after stumbling accross one and would not start this project until spring/summer. I have other project to finish this winter but if its not a hard swap and works well it would be great! Keep it coming guys I value the opinion of MOST on here .. lol. A 300k mile motor in a deuce is long overdue! Wonder if I will need a hood scoop! :D

case-basketcase

I have had several trucks with the DT motors, currently we have three in service. Last year, we put one in the shop that had 375K for an inframe (rebuild) and its good as new. Heads up that the DT466E is the later and electronics version. The DT466 (nonE) is obviously the pre-electronics version. I personally prefer the earlier models, but both are rock solid, I just like older stuff.

Just to add more conversation to the thread... another consideration for an engine r/r, I would also consider a 5.9L Cummins. It too is a great engine and a good candidate for a WVO conversion.

cbc

alphadeltaromeo

Lane

Why do you think your MF's are failing...do you think it's because of the lack of oil pressure on start up or do you think it's just really crummy engineering? With the four that have failed so far...what failed on them? Any good insight is greatly appreciated. I also would love to see some conversions. I'm going to run my MF to the ground before I'd do anything, but it sounds like a kick to do a conversion. Pics ....pics...come on folk...anyone have some pics??

Andy

citizensoldier

Well Andy I am not a diesel mechanic nor have I owned many diesel engines so I am learning just like you. After consulting with different exsperianced people it just seems to be a piss pour design. Of the four I have two have bad bearings in the lower end and two have blown head gaskets with one having #1 piston chipping away like old concrete? Some comments are that its not well balanced, bad oiling system, all together strange design,the multi fuel option is hard on them, and so on.. Dont know what is true or not I just know a diesel engine should go 300K without to much trouble. And these just dont? They also like to aircondition the block at #6 for some reason at high RPM's. This is probably due to bad oil circulation and balancing, over reving,or turbo sucking all the oil out of the block and starving the last in the oil line? I just keep asking questions and need a motor so I can jump in the truck and drive to FL without worry. Also could use some more power! hehehhe.

joec

The cummins is also a good idea! the dt466 is a good engine and you can get them to whistle just as loud as a whistler! Plus i can't remember wich SAE bell they have? But can't go bad either way. But if you try a 24 valve cummins or later all kinds of hot rod stuff to do to them. You can get them to make some serious horsepower. There is a allison trans that bolts to it. I will find out been playin with the idea myself.

citizensoldier

I kicked around the more modern Cummins engines too. Truth is I want as less of the electronics on it as possible.. Dont like all the computer controled stuff.. It make some good horsies but one module, one wire, one sensor and your screwed... I prefer the older simple stuff but thats just me..

joec

but the older engines were non electronics. after the 24 valve they started i think.
Afriend of mine has one in his pick up with all kinds of stuff on it. runs pretty good. And you vcan find those engines everywhere

jeli

Depending on how much money you are looking to invest I've seen school busses with B series in them for under $4K. Might have to drive it back a ways but they were under 100K vehicles with allisons.

beaubeau

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: DT 466 International motor ?

Hey C.S! I took out a Cat 3126 and replaced it with a DT 360 In my Chevy Top Kick. I am glad I did it and it starts good in the cold . I live in Northern N.H.<Then> Flight Equip. Phil

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: DT 466 International motor ?

beaubeau said:
Hey C.S! I took out a Cat 3126 and replaced it with a DT 360 In my Chevy Top Kick. I am glad I did it and it starts good in the cold . I live in Northern N.H.<Then> Flight Equip. Phil
was the Cat worn out or did you not like it? just wondering what prompted the swap.

beaubeau

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: DT 466 International motor ?

The Cat Sucked a Valve!! I bought the trk. BROKEN!! for $1300.00 and it would have cost more for parts for the Cat to repair, even with me doing the work! than I paid for the DT360, Bus Motor!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks