• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DT360 with spicer 5. Any good?

Section8

I didn't get any responses in my other post so I will try it this way. I have found a DT360 with spicer 5speed locally in a international 4700 truck. I was thinking of swapping it into the carcass of either a M135 or a M35a2. I am new to the MV scene so I am not sure about clearance issues or if this motor/tranny swap would be good. I know most M35a2s run with the spicer, no problems there but would need a good transfer case for the set up since the carcasses are bare bodies. Help and advice would be greatly appreaciatd since I am in desperate need of getting some OD green on the road.:driver:

rlwm211

Our company had a DT360 in a truck and we put well over a hundred thousand miles on it before I left with absolutely no issues. The truck was decent on fuel and really never caused any problems. Our truck ran down the road at around 20K gross. The engine was not a "powerhouse" by any means but a solid runner.

The tranny was solid as well. I am not sure of the brand transmission, but I would bet it was a spicer. You can get used M35 transfercases, but I think with a 135 you will need a transfer case from one of those trucks because of the driveline design in the rear.

Just my two cents

RL

mudguppy

the DT360 is comparable to the 5.9 Cummins - it's a great motor in every way. it is physically smaller than the motors originally offered in the deuce, so fitment should be on your side. sure, it's not a 'powerhouse' in stock form, but it's already going to be a 'powerhouse' compared to anything offered in a deuce. just like the Cummins, turning up the fuel can be performed with simple hand tools. most stock motors have the ability to fuel over 400hp. stock turbo may only move enough air for 300-ish, but that's quite a bit of power for a deuce.

i think it's a great candidate - go for it. oh, and use the trans attached to the DT rather than a deuce trans; it'll be much stronger.

CharlieM

I have one in my International Dump truck with a 5 speed allison, unloaded it takes off with traffic, fully loaded (33,000 GVW), it a little slow taking off but still will get to nearly 70 mph. I have the turbo with intercooler. Btw the fuel is easy to turn up and can run up to 2900 rpms. It will work great in a deuce.

Section8

Thanks for all the input on the motor tranny everyone. The spicer tranny makes things a lot easier since it is already on the motor. I will need to find a transfer case for the set up though. Will a stock transfer case be the best to get or should a guy go for something a little stronger. I think one is NP208? Correct me if I'm out to lunch on that!! I just don't want to go through the build and then rip up gear boxes with something weak.

Last edited:

mudguppy

no, not an np208. a '208 won't hold up to much, especially a diesel with a manual transmission. the 'A2 and up deuce transfer is a Rockwell 'case. best bet is to find an air-shift 'case and grab it and the cross-members for easier mounting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks