• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dual 52" tires on a single axle deuce

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not sure how wide 1400s are, but I think I read the 1600s are about 17" wide. That would be crazy to mount one on a 7.5" wide rim.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It really doesn't matter. If he wants to try 1600s on a stock rim, please try it. Just please post up what you find so that the question can be put to rest. I don't think I would waste my time on such a project, but it might turn out to be the best thing you do. The site is what it is because so many people try things and inform the rest of us what their results are.

Josh

I think he means tractor tires like the one on front of this deuce

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNU6hRhnoA&feature=related[/media]

Trango

I have mounted 16r20's on stock rims on my rock crawler. You need to use an implement to press the tires on to the rim... it's pretty difficult, and maybe not the best.

I currently have my 52's mounted on WWII DUKW combat rims.... and that was much easier to do, and was possible to do, in fact, by hand - I simply used longer bolts to suck the rims closer, and then bolted them together with the final, intended bolts, when the halves were close enough.

nhdiesel

I'm not trying to knock anything...it sounds like it will be fun to try. But I'll throw out my opinion based on experience. I've run in a good amount of mud and a lot of snow. One thing I've found is that duallies don't work well in either. You do gain rear flotation, but the rear is already light, and it's not where you need flotation. The front is heavy and tends to sink, and you are stuck with single wheels up there. Next, dual tires don't tend to track well in deep mud or snow. The single fronts cut a path and the rears have to fight to follow a path much narrower than they are. And last, you don't gain traction because you double the contact patch, but cut the contact pressure in half, so overall traction stays the same.

If you are looking for a go-anywhere beast, run the same single tires all the way around, and make sure the rear hubs are flipped so the rears can follow in the same tracks as the front.

just my 2cents in the end build it any way you want and have fun...and take pics :)

Jim

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well, if you can get some pics of those narrow tires, I bet a lot of uys would be interested, if they are highway tires.

The ones in the garage picture look like the same size/width as the Goodyear 16.00x20's I have on my 5 ton. They are not narrow in my book, being about 16-18" wide.

The ones in the mud video - tractor tires most of us would not use because we drive on the highway.

So, if there is a road tire that is narrower than the Goodyear 16.00x20, it would be very interesting.

The pics here show Goodyear 16.00x20's on Goodyear rims on an M818.

Attachments

Last edited:

nhdiesel

I wish we could get more of the tall and narrow tires they use in other countries. This applies to everything from light pickups to our military vehicles. On a heavy vehicle, forget flotation...tall and narrow work great. Just look at most of the videos of the Russian trucks going nasty places...tall, narrow tires. They just aren't available here, or at least aren't easy to find.

Jim

deuce_09

well from what i know wider tires are better in mud and the shorter the wheel base with tall wide tires make it an awesome mudder. and u are right about the tires not being "narrow" i mean narrow as them being compared to the 53"xzl's. i have 1600 20 mich. x's and ive seen them dualled out and it does make a difference in mud.

deuce_09

well to make things more clear on what im doing,here is my vision...
ill start with a stock deuce.then remove the bed and the rearmost axle
then i will put the front springs of my donor deuce and mount them up to the middle axle.
then i will cut the frame to where the end of the frame end right after the leaf spring perch.(about six in. away from the spings)
(will have no bed on it) and after i mount the tires on im going to build a tire carrierwere it puts the tire at an angle right at the end of the frame. then i will make some linkage for the rear axle.

ight i got a camera finally.ill get some pics up of the tires soon. i dont have them mounted on the rims yet but i will sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks.(im having a hard time tryin to get tubes for those tires for cheap)

Last edited: