• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Alternators with AC Compressor (not m1010)

brazengoat06

are all the brackets and spacers those that you made yourself? also in theory on the dual voltage alternator, could one run the 24v to the 24v side of resistor and the 12v to the 12v side? or would that freak out the 12v circuit of the voltage regulator?

mcsteffensr

are all the brackets and spacers those that you made yourself? also in theory on the dual voltage alternator, could one run the 24v to the 24v side of resistor and the 12v to the 12v side? or would that freak out the 12v circuit of the voltage regulator?
The spacers I made myself either by shortening existing spacers or drilling and turning down on a lath. You could probably make your own easy enough with some round stock a drill press and a hack saw. But getting spacers and cutting them shorter is the easiest way. If you get the nostalgic air kit the spacers it comes with would be more than enough to make what you need. As far as the alt hookups I'm not sure I get what you mean. What I did was connect the batteries and check voltage to all the wires after removing them from the dual alts. I then ran the wires that measured 12v to the 12v lug and the ones that read 24v to the 24v lug. The passenger side alt has one wire that is 12v and two that are 24v. The driver side alt has two ground wires and a 12v wire. I just lengthened wires where I needed to and connected them to their respective lugs on the new alt. the new alt even has a Tach output for the small brown wire to attach to. I hope this helps you out. I spent a lot of time researching everything and I know how frustrating it can be after you invest money into an idea and not have it work out. I know I have done enough of that! If I can help the next guy in anyway I am willing to share what I have learned.

brazengoat06

thanks for all you assistance. found out the compressor is a Sanden 508 compressor. now I just need to decide if its cheaper to just buy the bracket or to try and make them and run a different alternator. i'm afraid it'll come out to be the same either way so it may be more of a question of which is less of a hassle lol. Ill try and post up what I come up with.

mcsteffensr

I look forward to seeing the out come. I would recommend buying the kit. I realize it is expensive but it really is a good deal considering everything you get out of it. I'm sure I would have spent more trying to piece a kit together myself than buying it. Not to mention the countless hours saved by having directions. It really is all up to you though. You might have a line on a bunch of the stuff already. However you make it work. The fact that it works out in the end is really all that matters. I can't wait to hear more about your project!

TexAndy

Instead of a bent steel bracket, how about a beefy cast aluminum one?

With a decent capacity 3D printer (I've got a Mendel 1.5), you could pretty easily make the pattern.

Then finish machine the critical surfaces on a mill to get a good compressor fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks