• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Exhaust For Deuce

SasquatchSanta

After posting a couple of pictures of my dual exhaust system on another thread a SS menber sent me a PM requesting more pictures with explanition.

For some reason I can't get pictures to attach to PMs therefore to keep from completely hijacking the previous thread I'm starting this new/clean post.

I purchased my exhaust system through Dan Stiglets ... Stigy44@elknet.net . Stigy's Tel Nr is 414-305-1670.

I originally purchased a complete stainless steel system that was basically dimensionally stock except for the muffler. See pictures 1, 2 and 3.

The new muffler system quieted the engine quite a bit. I didn't/haven't ran decibel or backpressure readings but the sound reduction was appreciable.

It probably wasn't anything to be concerned with but with the single exhaust system I kept hearing a "whooosh" sound that wasn't the turbo. I was a little concerned that there might be a boarderline back-pressure problem so when I installed the new LDS engine I also installed another stack.

Dan Stiglets had the company he reps design what I call a fender pipe for the drivers side stack which is basically a shortened j-pipe that connects to a piece of stainless steel flex that ties into a modified j-pipe. See pictures 4 and 5. We welded the extension pipe on the existing j-pipe on site

Picture number 6 shows the passengers side --- modified j-pipe installed.

Picture number 7 shows the system running and ready to do.

As mentioned previously, I have yet to do a decibel or pack-pressure. All I can say is is the truck is quiet. Bear in mind that I also do not run a water pump fan so that also helps with noise reduction. The stacks have a deep throaty sound --- kind of like an old Mack Thermodine.

We fabricated a support that bolts under the drivers side fender that helps support the new stack. We also fabricated (bent) new mirror support brackets for the drivers side mirror. The cut-out hole in the drivers side fender for the pipe to pass through is fitted with the standard bolt-on plates that are on the drivers side fender.

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Much appreciated.

The LDS installation with all the things that went with it ... Pre-Lube Pump system, By-Pass Filter, Oil Temp and (3) oil pressure gauges as well as the auxillary heater installation, dual stacks etc., etc., was a lot more work than I thought it was going to be.

Thanks again.

goldneagle

Santa, really nice truck. I love the dual exhaust system. If you don't mind me asking, what did the exhaust system set you back? [thumbzup] :beer:

SasquatchSanta

goldeneagle wrote:

Santa, really nice truck. I love the dual exhaust system. If you don't mind me asking, what did the exhaust system set you back?
Thks. As far as price goes, I think there might have been some engineering time involved with my package. I've asked Dan Stigletz to work up some fresh numbers. When I spoke with him this morning he said they could offer the kit in either a straight pipe or muffler arangement BUT only in stainless steel. He said he would get some fresh numbers shortly. I'll post them.

Just so you know ... I am not connected to Dan in that I have nothing $$$ to gain from his business. My only motive is that I found him to be a good vendor. I'll go out of my way to promote a good vendor and will do the same to expose a bad one.

maddawg 308 wrote:

Very cool. I even like the red paint job - I guess I am finally losing my mind.
Thks maddawg but please don't say that (about liking the paint job) very loud. You'll get us both ran out of town. :)

FreightTrain

Banned
sweet paint.....but it need something.......more stainless.....maybe a big set of horns on the roof.....or some Alcoa super single wheels?maybe a big texas drop bumper on the front.......

chevycrew

RE: Re: Dual Exhaust For Deuce

If you look in the picture-Dual Exhaust --- Ready To Go.JPG

I believe you can see the center hub of a electric fan mounted behind the grill.

SasquatchSanta

sailor 2000 wrote:

No radiator fan??????
That's right. I replaced the radiator fan with a 24 volt 16" electric fan so the engine would build heat in these Minnesota winters. In the summer time it is boarderline as far as cooling capacity but it works well in the winter. With the radiator fan I have a hard time getting the engine to run over 140 degrees in the winter. The electric fan solved that problem. With the LDS engine I'll no doubt have to re-install the water pump during the summer but it will come off before winter sets in so the engine can get up to 180+ operating temperature.

See http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....opic&t=5873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Hey Freight Train --- Do you know where I can get a set of chrome curb feelers?

FreightTrain

Banned

heck,those are easy.Buy a bunch of cheap magnetic base CB antennas and take the stainless whip off.Get a round chunk of metal,drill a bunch of holes at the desired flare and braze teh whips on.Mount to truck.Ready to go.

sailor2000

Re: RE: Re: Dual Exhaust For Deuce

[quote="SasquatchSanta. With the radiator fan I have a hard time getting the engine to run over 140 degrees [/quote]

Not a big problem here in Houston!!! :roll:

comdiver

RE: Re: RE: Re: Dual Exhaust For Deuce

Ernie that red truck does look good. She would look real good in front of my old fire house, turned shop/home. How is the dual exhaust working. Have there been any changes in power, fuel use, noise, etc? Do you have a price yet? Looks great!

SasquatchSanta

Thanks,

Dan hasn't got back to me yet with current prices though I would rather he would post directly to the thread. His Tel Nr is listed earlier in this thread.

It's hard to tell how the duals effected the power because they were installed the same time a new LDS engine was installed.

I haven't been out of the house (driving much) lately because of the sub-zero weather. Also, my in-tank fuel pump went out a couple of weeks ago. I ordered an in-line pump from D-Man but I don't want to brave the weather (the truck is parked outside) until the weather gets above zero and the wind calms down.

The twin stacks sound really good and even with a stack now on the drivers side I think it's quieter than with the previous one stack/muffler.

spicergear

She does okay. :) I'm about to make an attempt to bump just a couple more HP from the CAT (225hp and NO smoke like whatsoever now) for some of the longer uphill pulls with a towed load...aside from it's 9 ton heft. I'm a little concerned about the stock transmission as I'm currently running over the torque rating of the 3053A and this will only add more torque. We'll see :)