• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Springer Suspension seats

treeguy

I looked at the Master Craft site and found the Mil. version of these seats and called to get pricing. They told me that they cannot sell the Mil. grade seats, but their Baja RS seat is the same it just doesn't have something or other that the Mil. version does. They also said that for $83 more you can get that same exact Mil. fabric to cover the seats but it will have the vinal outside edges on the bottom (left and right of your hips). So it looks like those seats are Mil. grade but I don't know how whoever got them. I also checked the measurements and how it fits into the deuce. The front edge goes forward past the steering wheel. Now that you have them installed, how does it feel to sit in the truck? Are you a smallish guy, I'm about average and I think that the seat would be hitting the back of the truck cab and you'd still feel too far forward. Because of the small cab space in the deuce it seems that most aftermarket seats will be too big. There is another company that makes Mil. seats called Global Seating. I don't know if they sell publicly but they have some very nice seats that look small enough to fit. They also have some that are skinny in width in the lumbar region so if your packin' you will fit comfortably.

Please let us know how it feels sitting in the cab, upgrading seats in the deuce is almost a necesity. Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's in. :razz:

The little seat looks lower than the springer seats next to it in the pictures. I made it so the bottom cushion would be at the same hight that the springer seats would be, when someone is sitting in them compressing them down.
This is exactly what I had in mind for my truck. Bravo!

hdmax

Paul, you continue to impress me with your level of talent!

As for the winch, it looks much more intimidating in person. One of them would fit behind my rear bumper perfectly, now if I just had the extra money.

Ridgerunner

The front edge goes forward past the steering wheel. Now that you have them installed, how does it feel to sit in the truck?

Are you a smallish guy, I'm about average and I think that the seat would be hitting the back of the truck cab and you'd still feel too far forward. Because of the small cab space in the deuce it seems that most aftermarket seats will be too big.

Please let us know how it feels sitting in the cab, upgrading seats in the deuce is almost a necesity. Thanks!
Here you go treeguy,
With the springer suspension base and the suspension seat on the top of them, they ride like floating in a cloud. They ride very nice.

I'm 5'9" with an average build, and when sitting in the seat, there's room between my legs and the steering wheel. When I'm not sitting in the seat the clearance does get smaller because the seat lifts because of no weight being in it. When I seperated the MasterCraft seat from their bases, there was a 3/4" spacer between the seat and the sliders. I left it in, when I mounted them to the springer base. The spacers were held to the bolts by a spring lock washer (The same type that holds the wheels on a kids wagon) I didn't pry them off, to take out the spacers. So I can yet take them out and the seat would be 3/4" shorter, for a little more room.

I took a picture for you, of me sitting in the seat, so you can get an idea of the steering wheel clearance.

Attachments

Last edited:

lonegunman

I am admiring the seat work and I see you have a welder and some ability there as well. I keep pondering some projects for my truck, seats and a winch come to mind. Once I told the wife I wanted a welder, she started drawing flower racks and things for me to get to work on.

Do you think a 6'2" 250 pound guy would fit in those seats?

Welder Sam

Lonegunman, GET U A WELDER!! I have a 250 bobcat and dunno wut id do without it! However, theres alot more to it than just a spark machine.
This is a great project. Its documented and exicuted very nicely. Thanks for sharing all this! 2cents

treeguy

Lonegunman, if your wife will agree to the welder then you may as well create some artistic floral work. This will help you in two ways. One, you'll keep her happy and the next time your buried in a project you can just say you are making her more flowers. Two, this will give you practice getting to know your welder and the best ways to make it work for you. Good luck!

I apologize if you already have welding experience. P.S. If you don't, and you spring for a mig welder may I suggest you go for the mixed gas version with solid welding wire. Welding with center core flux wire is aweful, too much splatter and not so pretty.

Welder Sam

<-- 16yr welder. If i may add, a230v songle phase MiG machine would do most anything most ppl would need. Frm thin (20ga) on up (w/multiple passes). U can run aluminum, stainless, mild, cast by simply changing wire and shielding gas.
Treeguys rite on all accounts.. 75/25argon/Co2 mix gas for mild is my pref. Doin the florals will teach and keep the mrs happy. Im sure theres plenty of advice around if ya want it. I too apologize if ur already knowledgable on the subj.
Nothing is as simple as it looks, esp the jumpseat. Pat, pat.. well done sir. The legs woulda pissd me off.. fat lady sings

lonegunman

Thanks guys, ,y welding skills are not completely dismal but they are close to dismal,,lol. I'm looking at a Miller, lucky for me we have three big suppliers within two miles of where I work. Sadly, for me they are all priced within 50 bucks for everything I wanted, so no smoking deals are available.

As soon as we get back from our summer vacation, I'm going shopping.