• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dual Wheel Removal Tip

Tackettr

Well I was making some last minute checks lasts night on my duece before I depart this Friday on my first 200+ mile trip and I discovered an oil leak on one of my rear seals. :evil::evil: It was getting dark and cold and I wasn't looking forward to pulling off each tire and the hub to inspect the damage. I had seen pictures on here of guys using wheel dollies but I don't have one. So I was trying to think of anything simular to accomplish the same thing. Then it hit me!:idea: I have a small engine dollie that I bought for my jeep engine. (See the picture of one simular to mine.) I removed one set of the vertical risers and slid the other set to one side. I put the remaining vertical risers against the inside of the tires and slowly let the duals down on it. The outside tire didn't completly fit on it but the CG kept the duals on the dollie. So, duals and hub were removed, bearings repacked, seals replaced, and back rolling in about an hour. Sorry no pictures of it in progress, I was in a hurry. :-D I hope this helps someone. I can't remember where I got my dollie but I don't think I paid that much for it.

Attachments

randyscycle

Another thing that works quite well is the motorcycle/ATV lifts that Craftsman and the like sell. They are also adjustable in height so you can jack up the truck and leav it there then slide the wheel/drum assemblies off.

Chief1900

If you don't have a dolly or a buddy to loan you one, you can use the old fashioned dirty method. Jack up the tires, put down a piece of tin or metal and put oil under it. Lower the tires and slide em out from under. Works pretty good, just a little messy.:cookoo:

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The motorcycle/atv jack is an excellent choice for removing the duals and hub as a unit. In addition the same jack can be used to remove a transfer case. Just need to make a stand to mount on the jack. The TM shows ones but with some fabrication a removal mount can be made to sit on the motorcycle jack. Can also be used to lower a transmission.

I too saw the same picture in the manual, I had a pallet jack and was able to bottle jack the axle high enough to slide the pallet jack between the tires. little bit of love and out came the whole wheel assembly. Went back in just as fast. Really makes the fine adjustments well when re-assembling.

had the whole disassembly, repack bearings and reassembly down to 20 minutes per assembly when I was done.

Worked slick!!!

otisroy

Thanks for the great tip. I think I'll run to ChineseFreight to grab one of those 1500lb ATV jacks they have on sale every so often and cobble up a wider platform for it.

emr

I do it in the gravel...:wink:...with a piece of ply under em,,,needless to say I need to pull em off the old fashioned way, each piece...:-D... but i still do all the PM needed!!!! there is never an excuse for not keeping up on all the things these trucks need to be safe on the road, maybe someday i will have some cement too!!!..need that before the jack...:cry:

rizzo

If you don't have a dolly or a buddy to loan you one, you can use the old fashioned dirty method. Jack up the tires, put down a piece of tin or metal and put oil under it. Lower the tires and slide em out from under. Works pretty good, just a little messy.:cookoo:

oilcan

Plywood on gravel works just fine. Of course you have to try to avoid slipping on the grease... Or sitting in it. :oops: And it's best if the ground is fairly level.

MilitaryRestoration

like this :) Did it again the other day just using a thin piece of 4'x4' galvanized works even better... lil trick the father taught me when I was young

Attachments

Tackettr

That is a neat trick, do they push back on as easy as pulling them on? Looks like a two man job. I think I will keep my eye out for a cheap ATV lift also. I'm glad everyone kicked in other ideas! This site is great!!!:-D:-D

cbvet

In our shop in "Nam we had a dolly that was built especially for that purpose. It not only lifted the wheels, but had a tilt adjustment too which really helped.
The ones I've seen advertised are $400 to $900, too rich for me.
I've used a greased board or piece of sheet metal as has been described, but I ALWAYS end up making a real mess.
I picked up a pallet jack at a junk store for $100 that works quite well. Not as good as the "real thing", but pretty darn handy.
Eric
CBVET

oilcan

That is a neat trick, do they push back on as easy as pulling them on? Looks like a two man job. I think I will keep my eye out for a cheap ATV lift also. I'm glad everyone kicked in other ideas! This site is great!!!:-D:-D

They do go back together pretty easy, but you have to take it slow so you don't nick something and end up with a leak. I found it was easiest to have a spotter under the truck to guide things and someone outside doing the pushing.