• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dualled M105A2 Project. Axle Narrowing?

Gypsyman

It looks like I may finally be getting a title for the '67 M105A2 that I purchased back in early March so it's time to start planning. If you look past the paint the trailer itself is virtually arrow straight and rust free. A very nice candidate for this project considering that the trailer and I were both built in the same year. =)

Having read every thread that I could find I've never found any discussion of narrowing the axle to stay within the 102" wide body legal limit. Calculating the width at 105" (including tire bulge) I will need to drop 3" to land on the 102" mark. To allow a small amount of leeway (should I be stopped and measured by the DOT) I'll be shooting for 101". This means that I will need to drop 4" overall.

Now the question on narrowing the axle. Option 1 is to remove 4" from the center of the axle which would also involve having to relocate the spring perches. Option 2 is to remove 4" from each end of the axle.

In my mind Option 1 would be the strongest. Option 2 would have a more factory original look and leave the spring perches and their factory welds unmolested.

Thoughts?

1967 M105A2 (1).JPG 1967 M105A2 (2).JPG 1967 M105A2 (3).JPG

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like I may finally be getting a title for the '67 M105A2 that I purchased back in early March so it's time to start planning. If you look past the paint the trailer itself is virtually arrow straight and rust free. A very nice candidate for this project considering that the trailer and I were both built in the same year. =)

Having read every thread that I could find I've never found any discussion of narrowing the axle to stay within the 102" wide body legal limit. Calculating the width at 105" (including tire bulge) I will need to drop 3" to land on the 102" mark. To allow a small amount of leeway (should I be stopped and measured by the DOT) I'll be shooting for 101". This means that I will need to drop 4" overall.
Now the question on narrowing the axle. Option 1 is to remove 4" from the center of the axle which would also involve having to relocate the spring perches. Option 2 is to remove 4" from each end of the axle.
In my mind Option 1 would be the strongest. Option 2 would have a more factory original look and leave the spring perches and their factory welds unmolested.
Thoughts?
Not sure why you'd want to dual out a 105 trailer, but if it was me I'd go for Option 2.

Gypsyman

Added stability and flotation when loaded, and better visibility in the mirrors. Plus, I like the way they look when the fenders are widened accordingly. Sample photos below.

What makes you lean towards Option 2?

Dually Modified M105 (0).jpg Dually Modified M105 (1).jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe not the answer you seek or the right one but 3 inches is not a huge deal and can hardly be noticed. Especially if you mod the fenders & add conspicuity tape plus add mud flaps, no one will bother you.

I have run dually m105 and m107 trailers with stock fenders and not had any leo issues.

Just sounds like a ton of work and then have to worry about the welds/mods if you ever had a failure.

All the best with your quest.
Ymmv

Gypsyman

Unfortunately WADOT is nasty to deal with and they set up on the highway right down the road from my place all the time. I don't mind the work/cost to end up with what I want and make the trailer legal. I have a free spare axle so it's more time investment than cash. If it doesn't work it's no great loss.

If I go with narrowing from the center it would be more heavily sleeved than the example below. Something along the lines of an 18"-24" heavy wall insert. I see rear axles properly narrowed all the time in other hobbies. I believe that the strength can be built in.

Sleeved Tube.jpg

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A cut in the middle and a stout sleeve is the way to go. Done it many times, both to narrow and to extend.

Old deuce or 5-ton axles are square tube, and are easier to mount in as they don't need a welded perch (just a locater hole in the tube and a bunch of bolts). I cut out the banjo with my horizontal bandsaw and welded in a section.

You might consider doing it with a 5-tonner, running single 12.00-20's on a 10-bolt wheel for the weight rating.

I did it on a beater M105 with extended sides to haul gravel. It hauls a couple yards without any problems.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about finding an M200A1 (already with duals) and working to retrofit an M105 body onto it? It might amount to less work. Just a thought.

Gypsyman

I looked for one for quite a while. Not much comes up around here. That's when I ran across the free M105 axle. I measured the M200A1 axle on my generator and it's narrower than I would like to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks