• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dually conversion done simple on the cheap.

It was a cucv, per owner. I asked them to spinning a hub and see what the other one does and if it feels like their connected to each other. I'm definitely buying if it's locked. Otherwise I'll go narrow 14 bolt.
Is there any chance of my 14 bolt, larger, ujoint yoke I bought fitting it?
Or, am I lucky enough the ujoint is already 1410?

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd start by pulling the diff cover, and brake drums, to find out what needs it may have. A rusted ring gear and/or pinion would cost a few bucks to replace, for example.
Unless you're changing the ratio and installing a locking diff, anyway.

Oh, and properly functioning Detroit would likely act like an oped diff if you turn one side, except with a slight "clicking" sound.
If you rotated the pinion and both ends turned the same way it's most likely not an open diff.

Last edited:
It's always been this way too. Used to be we would write $50.00 on the bill of sale. Then they made a minimum value to prevent that. Back when I was a kid, you could buy a running Chrysler Cordoba ETS for $50 bucks. A-holes is right.

You cannot even give away a car to your own brother without paying taxes on it ! I gave my brother our old 1999 Honda Civic since his old car has over 470,000 miles on it ! That's right almost half a million miles ! The old thing is barely holding together though, so they desperately needed a new car but could not afford one. At the license transfer place they wanted the value of the car for tax purposes ! If you think about it the average car gets sold three times. That's three times it's taxed ! I've always been glad that we are on a well so we don't pay the water bill and tax. Now some A$$ Wipe in the legislature is trying to pass a "Well Water Tax" !!!! Our fore-fathers would roll-over in their graves if they only knew what we are putting up with in all these taxes we pay. They started a revolution for having to pay only 4% of their income !
I'm sorry for getting on this rant, but taxes are a real sore spot for me. Especially land tax. If you think about it we never really own our land but just "rent" it from the government ! Don't think so ? Then just don't pay your rent (taxes) and see what happens !
:rant:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what its worth, the cost of a Detroit NoSpin for a 70HD is nearly twice the cost of one for the 14B.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where do you have to go for it?

Maybe someone on the site could help you check it out before you drive far.

rustystud

Is a D80 overkill?
If I could find one for a reasonable price I would buy it. The major difference between the Dana 80 and the Dana 70HD is the Dana 80 uses disc brakes and the Dana 70HD uses drums. They are the same weight and strength. Some get confused when comparing the 70 to the 80 but they forget the "Dana 70HD" is built heavier then the stock Dana 70. It has a 4" tube instead of 3.5" and it uses much heavier carrier bearings. Basically the Dana 80 is just a modern Dana 70HD since all trucks and cars use disc brakes all around now. The question then becomes is it worth the extra cost of the Dana 80 for the disc brakes ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks