• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duals on the front?

Biggles

The problem i have been noticing with my deuce is that the majority of the weight is on the front and the majority of the contact patch with the ground is in the back. The front end wants to drive to china in the mud while the back tires seem to sit on top and spin. It also tends to want to snowplow on slick surfaces, that is keep going straight when the wheels are turned. Has anyone ever explored the possibility of putting duals on the front? I don't want to go to super singles, I believe by putting longer studs on the front and duals then flipping the rear hubs I would wind up with a lot more tire on the ground in the front where i need it and everything lining up so it wouldn't look TOO stupid. Then again maybe it's late and I should just plan on putting Wider tires on the front and leave the back alone.

goldneagle

The problem i have been noticing with my deuce is that the majority of the weight is on the front and the majority of the contact patch with the ground is in the back. The front end wants to drive to china in the mud while the back tires seem to sit on top and spin. It also tends to want to snowplow on slick surfaces, that is keep going straight when the wheels are turned. Has anyone ever explored the possibility of putting duals on the front? I don't want to go to super singles, I believe by putting longer studs on the front and duals then flipping the rear hubs I would wind up with a lot more tire on the ground in the front where i need it and everything lining up so it wouldn't look TOO stupid. Then again maybe it's late and I should just plan on putting Wider tires on the front and leave the back alone.
There is already a thread on Duals in the front...Please search the threads for more info.

PorscheTech911

These threads keep coming up, you might try searching because I'm pretty sure there was one just recently on the same subject. I'm interested to see how it turns out, be sure to post pictures of your progress if you go for it!

~Adam

Biggles

I searched before I posted. I just searched again. I haven't been able to find anything mentioning putting duals on the front axle. Found one talking about adding another front axle but as far as going up to a dozen tires on the deuce I can't find anything. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

powerhouseduece

I searched before I posted. I just searched again. I haven't been able to find anything mentioning putting duals on the front axle. Found one talking about adding another front axle but as far as going up to a dozen tires on the deuce I can't find anything. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?
Just go down to the local truck shop and buy some budd caps and nuts. (like the rear) I would not do it on the street but im not sure about how its going to act offroad.

Try it, take lots of pics, and let us know! ;-)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes it has been done, I can't seem to find the thread I was looking for. Anyway, I'm not sure how fun it would be to steer with duals on the front, but it can't hurt for floatation.

DKELONE

I had duals on the front of a john deere 4020 years ago for use in the mud. The 2nd tire had a diameter that was about 2" smaller than the standard tire so that on hard surfaces the dual never touched the ground. As soon as the standard tire dug in an inch the dual came in for extra support. It steered fine while moving but the tractor had power steering. Worked well for us for years until we went to 4wd tractors.

jfnemt1ff1

I had duals on the front of a john deere 4020 years ago for use in the mud. The 2nd tire had a diameter that was about 2" smaller than the standard tire so that on hard surfaces the dual never touched the ground. As soon as the standard tire dug in an inch the dual came in for extra support. It steered fine while moving but the tractor had power steering. Worked well for us for years until we went to 4wd tractors.
I bet that set up would work if you were running 1100s and put 900s on the out side ft dual.
John

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen photos of duals on the fronts on trucks in the African desert campaigns in WWII. I would caution that without power steering, if the outer tire hits an obstruction such as a rock or root, the steering wheel can be torn out of your hands, possibly breaking fingers or a wrist. Ask any old farmer who has driven an F-20 Farmall and had one front tire hit an obstruction. You NEVER wrap your thumbs around one of those steering wheels! It could also damage the steering system from the shock of hitting the stops in an uncontrolled manner. Duals also have a nasty habit of filling up in the center in sticky mud. After that happens, you are basically trying to drive a road roller through the mud; traction is virtually gone. Wide singles are the best bet. I have put 11.00x20 tires on the front, which you can do with the air shift front axle. They have worked well, and they wear longer. They will mount on your same rims.
Regards Marti

jimm1009

dual front wheels

If you have big enough arms to do this on the road you could still have problems with the the L.E.O.s due to state laws regarding tire extension beyond the wheel wells. If you have some fender extensions made then that would keep them off your back more than likely.
In the state where I live if they want, they can fine you about $200 for not having fender extensions for tires sticking out more than a certain dimension (I think 1.5 inches max.) but that dimension may be wrong.
Perhaps go wtih a wider tire up front similar to the cement truck setups if you have front ends digging down too much in the soft stuff. They seem to have good excess with wider front tires of the same diamter with duals in the rears for the extra weight.
jimm1009

Hal_VT

A friend of mine who served in Italy during WW II told of seeing trucks with duals on the front axle. In muddy going a man would stand on the running board and reach through the window to help the driver steer. Sounds like a real exciting job.

tm america

ya i think there is a law against it not just because they stick out past the fenders but due to the binding and slipping in wet or icy conditions .i think they would help you out in the sand or deep mudd but other than that the trade off wouldnt be worth it .i mean think about it if they were legal or a good idea they would have them on all the cement trucks and anyothere on off road truck out there mainly all the mvs ..:roll:super singles are the way to go but i guess if you have the arms for it you could switch em on when you get to the soft stuff and see how much it helps

Biggles

well I like the idea of running 900's outside of 1100's on the front, I'd never thought of that. I also think I have found that the 1400's super singles are the same diameter as the 1100's just wider. that may be the way to go. I'll post pictures when I actually spend the money.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few points to consider on this "Duals on the Front" modification:

1. Be prepared for the "ARMSTRONG" steering experience;

2. You'll be transferring LOAD outboard of the original spindle design parapmeters, so be sure to inspect the spindles BEFORE EVERY highway use, lest you lose a wheelset and kill yourself or someone else;

3. Outboard tires will be outside the fenders - DO NOT expect the sheetmetal to FEND OFF any airborne slung-mud careening toward your HEAD!;

4. Braking potential will be altered due to the near doubling of the rotating inertial mass as well as the increased tractive forces.

Just my 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks