• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duals vs Singles

M37-1952

I read the threads on singles and duals but living in the North, which is better on snow and ice? Also , can you single out the truck just by removing the outside tires or should you change the studs?

Mark

1971 M35A2

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Super Singles with a pair chains are the best in any condition the North has to throw at you. The snow will get stuck between the duals just like the mud will. Another plus is if you don't have chains for the truck reduce the air-pressure to increase your surface area and traction. This works for duals, but in super singles it's alot easier after all you've got only 2-4 tires instead of eight to reduce in pressure and than air up again.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using original spec tires for the vehicle. On ice you get the best traction from tire weight figured at lbs per sq. inch. A narrower tire/tread surface will have more traction. Dualls will have less as each tire would share in the weight spreading it out over a larger surface area and reducing the lbs per sq. inch. This is for driving on icey surfaces. Other surfaces are a different ballgame.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Singles = better traction
Duals = load & stability

I have seen people run either one outside or the one inside on dually pickups in the winter
even seen someone on here running just the outers on the back of his deuce.

The proper way to run the stock rims singled is to "flip" the rear hubs, this way all tires have the same track.

LanceRobson

We've got trucks with both dual NDCCs and single XLs with flipped hubs here on the farm.

The XLs are in a different league from the NDCCs. They go places into which I wouldn't try to go with NDCCs and do it without any drama. That said, duals give a wider stance and better side slope stability. Also, XLs cost generally two times (or more) than NDCCs-something to consider.

Weight carrying isn't the question. Even six 11.00-20 NDCC tires will carry more weight than an M35 at gross weight.

The duals will allow you to drive a flat rear tire to a safe place to take care of the problem. Singles need attention right away.

With a couple face cords of 20" heavy hardwood in the single tired truck for traction, I can drive through snow higher than the bottom of the bumper and have dragged the axle pumpkins through the mud. NDCC tires are not very good in snow or deep mud unless aired down to 10-15 PSI or with chains. I've never had a problem with snow or mud getting between the duals but we have good loose loam, no clay.

I think enough of the off road capabilities of the XLs (as compared to NDCCs) that I'm switching my dual truck to dual XLs. It's cargo and generator trailers are getting XLs, too to maintain even ride height and to be able to use the spare tire from the ruck on the trailer.

From my experience, the question is not dual versus single, it's NDCC versu XLs or similar.

Lance

EDIT for spelling and grammar....

Last edited:

tm america

singles are better for everything except sand .sand pushes up between the duals and prevents them from sinking 11'00 single have the same capacity in the rear and more on the front than 9.00 duals but if you go with any bigger tire the capacity is way greater with singles my 15.5s are rated at 14'500 per tire they are great in snow rain mud they stop better and turn better since there is less binding it is easier to down air six tires than ten .i could go on all day the military seen how much better singles are that way they run them on almost everything now duals are old tech.

saddamsnightmare

MArch 1st, 2009.

In West Virginia the deuces used for logging work usually got fitted with Goodyear G177's M+S 1100R20's on singles flipped rear hubs. Our experience off road was that the duals tend to "float" on deep mud and snow, and won't deliver as substantial bite to move the truck. If you have a flat with a singled deuce, yeah, you have a problem, if you have a flat on a dualled deuce, not so bad, but still a problem that needs attention now.
if you flip the rear hubs, the track is not as wide as the dualled rear end, but the side slope mobility can't be that much different if the load's where it should be in the bed.... and you may be able to squeeze through places that the dualls might get caught in or not pass through.
The duals were probably used due to the tire technology of 1948 not being able to offer the margin of safety on singles that our radials do today. The Goodyear G177's 1100R20 s have a higher tire weight capacity in singles then the NDT pair they replaced.
Uncle seems to like the singles on the M35A3's, and you can get them 95% remaining tread life for about $100.00 each.... what's not to love? Better traction, fewer tires to replace.
Last thought, run your NDT's on ice, rain, or snow on pavement, if you want a religious experience, I can just about guarantee you'll get one!:razz:

Cheers,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan:twisted:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............................................................................................................
Uncle seems to like the singles on the M35A3's, ................................

....not only him, I guess! :smile:

I think 14.5R20 (365/80R20) is THE tire to single out a Deuce.
Who ever had a chance to test drive them on/off road (incl. deep sand!) won't want to keep those old NDTs on for long, I bet!

G.

LanceRobson

Does a singled out rig drive better than one on duals?
Yup! Turns tighter, less vibration etc. Probably gets better mileage, too.

A big factor in fuel economy is the amount of energy wasted in flexing the sidewalls. Less sidewalls=less energy waste. That's one of the biggest attractions of super singles for over the road truckers.

Lance

I also think you're less likely to lock the rear brakes up. There's more bite to the singles and the compound seems tackier.

Last edited:

kipman

My brother and I have singled out trucks, both have the hubs flipped, mine have 1100 xl tires, my brothers truck has goodyear mud and snow, my tires very agressive, his are a dream on the road, he is now putting xl on the back and leaving the goodyears as steering tires.

Diecorpse

When you guys talk about flipping the hubs, are you talking about fliiping the inaide rear tires around with out using shorter studs? Can you atill get the proper torque on a single rim when flipped using the longer studs? I want to single mine out so I have a couple spares. I am still running the NDCC but only because most of them have a lot of tread left.

welldigger

When we say flip the hubs we mean literally flipping the hubs themselves. This aligns the rear tires with the fronts when singled.