• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DUKW Causes Heart Attack!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Here's a short vid Tony made of the DUKW arriving in it's new "nesting place":

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtcmjO6tDzk&feature=youtu.be[/media]

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
:drool:

Wait, hold on.

:drool::drool:

Wait, there's more.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

PB, I is super happy for you. I can't wait to see the epic, ground up, hull-off, National Convention, award winning super resto you guys were obviously planning on doing.

I know Troy and Tony will take great delight in scouring the shelves of surplus dealers looking for NOS date coded motor mounts and things like that.

Ya'll all know my love of DUKW's is supreme (the ribbing here shows that) and I'll tell you why (and I reserve to right to go through this spiel again in the future).

The DUKW is a pure specimen of American ingenuity. It's the antithesis of "function follows form". Not only does it follow the same ethos that most MV's do (everything on it serves a purpose-no marketing, no tricks, just an honest work device), but it goes one step further.

It, like the hedgerow devices that an NCO dreamed up, on his own, during the Normany invasion, is a device, born to serve a purpose that a bunch of average Joe's thought up.

When the military needed a faster way to move supplies from ship to shore, at some point, somebody must have said "you know, we just need a 6x6 that floats" and everyone probably chuckled.

Well, the guys at Sparkman and Stephens didn't laugh. They went and built a floating deuce and a half!

Americans are capable of brilliant, yet efficient & simple answers to complex problems when they put their minds to it. And the GMC DUKW is a shining example of that.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well Clinto...she will never be a museum grade resto...I don't have that kinda money...nor do I have the intent to do so.

My intent was/is to save her from the scrapper...which was her destiny, stop the deterioration and get her in some semblance of the military marvel she once was.
That means running, driving, stopping....safely... and as purty/complete as funds will allow.

Will she ever swim/float? Who knows.:shock:

Some of "The Crew" is opting for the "Pirate" scheme...Zout has even come up with a new sign for the Compound!

Oh...BTW...the shop is no longer gonna be called "The Hooch"!:oops:

From now on...it's gonna be called "The Imperial Yacth Club"!!aua

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Some of "The Crew" is opting for the "Pirate" scheme...:oops:

From now on...it's gonna be called "The Yacth Club"!!aua
Bet it will not be the first PIRATE DUKW, if we can think of it, it was thought of by GI JOE

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Crew candidates

Zout's sister came down today and applied for the "1st Mates" position on the DUKW.
Of course I explained it was only a part time position...meaning when MB is not around!!:shock::oops::oops:

Attachments

zout

PB went and done it - of all my sisters to PO he did it. If you post one of the three sisters pictures - that should have been the one you hid away.

As soon as I told them you had a ship - and a yacht club they all started practicing for roles during parades (or any other time we wish an oportune time to take pics amoungst yacht members)

SO as I sit with a sword gashing into my neck and to bring this thread to a proper level - here are my sisters mermaid outfit:

Attachments

zout

PB - she should have been ashamed to come that way - she must have been holding her breath talking to you - she is practising serving grog - she is much healthier member of the family than that.

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2..I paid $1200.00 for her... did I do good in your opinion?
fat lady singsfat lady sings Trying to make everybody sick here or what?

For that amount, I would have bought her and shipped her to the Czech Republic (including first mate). We have a lot of large fishponds (the largest is about 2 square miles) and flooded floodplains here, so we could put her to good use. Great buy, great project, just blast and paint her and have fun with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks