• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DUKW Pile

Rustyhood

Hey out there ! I'm a new member..I currently own a 1970 M818 with a winch..and a PILE of rusty parts that used to be a DUKW..1942 I believe..I'm going to start a rebuild/restore on it but am unable to find any VIN numbers or tags..any help titling this thing is welcome..I am certian its a 1942 as the person I got it from was my Uncle..long since passed away now..I hesitate any moves until a title is in hand..Thanks !

slantflat

Hi Rusty and welcome. Glad to see another owner of rusty DUKW parts. Mine is a '45.

Look for the VIN on the frame, right side, between the rear wheels. It will be stamped and start out 353 and have five numbers following. I'm guessing you don't have any of the data plates still on the dash. There are several places on the internet you can find a list of VINs and USA numbers and you can figure pretty closely when it was built.

Let's see some pictures!

Mike

Rustyhood

Thanks ! Looked around for the frame #..quite easy..hardly a hull left..just rust..it was a critter Condo in a field for too many years..can't see anything..motor is gone..pretty much a wreck..and 2nd DUKW was converted to a boat..had an outboard mounted on back..no axles n wheel wells were closed up..Its a long story..no #s either..Prolly shoulda ran away..

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks ! Looked around for the frame #..quite easy..hardly a hull left..just rust..it was a critter Condo in a field for too many years..can't see anything..motor is gone..pretty much a wreck..and 2nd DUKW was converted to a boat..had an outboard mounted on back..no axles n wheel wells were closed up..Its a long story..no #s either..Prolly shoulda ran away..
It shouldn't be too hard to title here in mi , I'll send you a PM.

slantflat

Papabear my DUKW looks about like the first picture. What is your final paint color? That's about as close as I've seen to the original color. I've looked for years and no one can tell me just what color/color number the original was.

Mike

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Papabear my DUKW looks about like the first picture. What is your final paint color? That's about as close as I've seen to the original color. I've looked for years and no one can tell me just what color/color number the original was. Mike
Mike, that is NOT the final color and it is close to 24087 but glossy. We painted the DUKW with this paint...mixed by Carquest because I knew it would be a LONG time before she was ready for the final color and I wanted to be sure she was sealed well and the rust issues stopped . This is very good paint, similiar to Emron and costs alot. She was only painted this color because Carquest already had the paint code for my "Imperial First Sergeant Green" which I have on a couple of other vehicles.

When she's running/driving/stopping, we will dull the shiny paint with light sanding and paint her something more close to the WWII paint color...sorta like this vehicle:

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Rusthood,

If I can help let me know, I'm just up the road from you. I got my first DUKW before I could legally drive.

View attachment 466092View attachment 466093View attachment 466094

Robert Reigle

Fenton, MI 48430
810-691-7963

Robert@MilitaryVehicleweb.com
www.militaryvehicleweb.com
www.facebook.com/MilitaryVehicleWeb
I have some very choice words for you but its is 10000% simply due to jealousy. I think every day that it was warm enough to go swimming I'd have bikini clad girls on my DUKW. I'd even have them when it was too cold to see how nippy it was out.

Rustyhood

Rob ! Thanks !! You are super-close to me ! Yeah..excited..Lemme know if and when I
can drool on your DUKW and pick your brain..promise I'll drive my 5 ton over..

Rustyhood

Hey Derrick112..I'm just down the road from you..I come up Rawsonville Rd to catch the freeway..Yeah, I've driven my M818 35+ miles
to work..

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember Mike Yeck in Dundee had a DUKW sitting outside his building for years. I didn't see it in the auction earlier this year. I wonder if it stayed local.

It's neat seeing a Milan resident on here. I'm from Milan. Welcome to the SteelSoldiers.

Another Ahab

Hey Rustyhood, welcome to you from down here in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Don't have a DUKW, but subscribing to the thread out of interest:

- A few cities out here along the East Coast run motorized tours called "Duck Tours" in refurbished DUKW's.

- I think it all started in Boston, but other cities include Philadelphia, DC, and maybe even Baltimore.

Thanks for kicking-off the thread.

Last edited:

Steve Greenberg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,
DUKW S/N 14011 is probably July 1944. I have been compiling a list of DUKW owners with USA number & date of delivery for several years. I took over what Bill Keen started back in the late 80's. If you would like me to add your DUKW to the list and send you a copy of the list send me your e mail address.
Thanks,
Steve
sgreenb810@aol.com

Attachments

Last edited:

Rustyhood

Hey Steve..thanks so much ! Going to try and Title it in the next few weeks..went thru a similar process with my M818..all S.O.S. in Mi wanted was Bill of sale,Weight and Vin #..I was on the road for under a hundred smacks..minus insurance..Gotta run the DUKW VIN# thru them to make sure it hasn't been doubled or in use..crossing fingers !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks