• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dull lights

197thhhc

We are in the process of resto-bobbing a deuce. One thing that has been driving me nuts are the dull brake light and turn signal light lenses. I cant see replacing a perfectly good light just because the lense is nasty and dull. so I thought about what we do to the disclolored headlights on Acuras at my work.

We use a 3M headlight cleaning kit. So I thought I would try it on the deuce lenses. I was amazed how well it worked and how easy it was. Plus visability of the lights at night has improved alot.

This is a great little detail project anyone can do and it really makes a difference. These kits are well worth the $20.00 bucks they cost.

Ted

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

I use that 3M stuff twice a year on my 96 Stratus Headlight lenses - over 280,000 miles on er and it cleans them right up.

We also use it here at work on the Volvo VNL64T tractor headlight lenses - plastic as well. Beats buying new ones at over $200 a pop.

Great work - looks awesome

K9Vic

Looks good!!!

The 3M does a good job, but it is way too expensive compared to Novus Police that is allot cheaper and is designed to clean plastic. You can get it am most motorcycle shops, or order it online. I have been using this for 15+ years cleaning emergency vehicle lenses and will restore dull faded plastic.

NOVUS Plastic Polish

oddshot

Good tip ... thanks!

I wonder if it would work on scratched up and dull lenses on gauges.

I tried using just a Dremel hand grinder with a felt wheel ... and was doing pretty good ... the lens was cleaning up nicely until the felt got hot enough to melt the plastic ... then it was AAAaaaallll over.

oddshot

Armada

You can also just buy replacement lenses/covers instead of replacing the complete light assembly. They are inexspensive and will take alot longer to dull up than a lense that has already been polished.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also just buy replacement lenses/covers instead of replacing the complete light assembly. They are inexspensive and will take alot longer to dull up than a lense that has already been polished.
Whereabouts? I have been unable to find inexpensive ones.

197thhhc

What grit I the sanding or polishing tool
Starts with 500 grit then 800 grit then 3000 grit then a polishing compound. The tool is in the kit with all the stuff. I saw them for 16.99 at Harbor freight yesterday. The same 3M kits not a knock off. For less than the price of one new lense you can do all 4 on your truck and probably a few of your friends. I used what i had left over after doing my wifes cars headlights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks