• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb air emergency brake question...

dannyd2450

I am a proud new owner of a M923 and have dedicated countless office "working" hours to reading over what you guys post. So, getting to the chase, as a desk guy Im NOT the most knowledgeable when it comes to mechanical items.

I run the truck under normal conditions, place the parking brake on with 100+ psi (while running), and shut off the motor. I also remove the air from the air lines behind the passenger side cab.

Will the parking brake truly be disengaged if someone comes in after the fact and pulls the parking break lever forward with engine off, no air pressure, cold engine, etc...

Triple C

Welcome to the site and no, on air brakes, the air holds the brakes OFF, so when there is not air, the brakes engage. That is why you need to get off the road fast if you have an air line leak or failure. When your air pressure drops below the engagement limit (60 or 65 lbs) your brakes are going ON. Welcome to the site and go directly to the TM's. There is a world of awesome information waiting for you there. You are going to have sooooo much fun.

dannyd2450

Ken,

Sorry, I didnt word that correctly. Im worried about putting the parking break on... walking away.... and someone walking in and messing around with it. If they pull the lever forward without anything running, will the truck start to roll?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The answer is no. If there is NO air(you drained the tanks), it will not move.

You may want to educate yourself on how air brakes work.

Triple C

No problem Ken, you worded it correctly, I obviously didn't answer it well. I gave you more information than you asked for and I shouldn't have done that. My concern was as DH indicated, that by asking that question you let us know you aren't familiar with how they work and I was concerned that if you were driving it and had an issue you wouldn't know what the consequences were going to be. Everything you will need to know is in the tech manuals, probably a lot of things you wouldn't even think to ask, that's why I suggested you head that way. Have fun and welcome.

dannyd2450

Thanks again. And I couldnt agree more, I have seen the "read the service manual" response so many times that I almost know the stupid things by memory!

I greatly appreciate the additional info, I rather learn things from your words than on my own, TRUST ME! A perfect example a hub leak... My truck has 2,400 miles since it was rebuilt in 2010 and drives like new. So i haven't had to do much and I have no past experience. But armed with the manual, the numerous threads, and corresponding pictures, I feel like Im a pro...

I will try to tackle it this weekend and expect it to take no more than 15 min (thanks to you guys).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do not fear asking.

We want to help.

There are some good you tube vids on airbrake(how they work).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks