• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb electrical question...

Warren Lovell

In regards to the gen lights:

What are the symtoms of a bad battery, ie: a battery not taking a charge?

My generator lights stay on and the ammeter register in the yellow?

This is all a result of me arching the ammeter with the shifter while the vehicle was running. It blew the lowest fuse in the fuse block. I changed the fuse and the ammeter now functions, but the gen 1 and gen 2 light stay on.

I drove up a hill yesterday, daylight, and my gen1 light went to off, but gen 2 stayed on.

The batteries? they are probably due for replacement. They are at least 5 years old.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

warren

Warren Lovell

Okay...I put in 2 new group 31 batteries, full charged. The gen 1 and 2 lights are still on. I checked output at driver side alternator and got a 12.26+ reading.

Does anyone have any ideas why the lights dont go out?

What is the correct output of the alternators with fully charged batteries?

datsunaholic

Around 14.3V is a good alternator output. 12.3V is a good charged, but not chargING, battery. Though to know for sure compare the voltage of the battery when the engine is off vs when it's running. It should ALWAYS be higher when running.

Keith_J

When the generator lights are on, there is a problem and the alternators are not charging.

Fully charged batteries have a voltage of 12.6 when rested for 24 hours after charging. This can be higher due to heat or recent charge.

To charge a battery, voltage must be 14-14.2 volts.

The wiring diagrams for the charging circuits have one glaring error, that being the right alternator only charges the back battery! The left alternator charges the front battery. As such, these alternators have remote negative connections, the right alternator's negative is connected to the rear battery negative, this is also the positive side of the front battery.

This does not apply to the M1010 or 1028 with 200 ampere charging system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks