• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb newbie starter question

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a gear reduction (small) or direct drive (big) starter? On the Direct drive one of the housing bolts will extend out and the bracket attached to it with a nut.

On the gear reduction there should also be a flange/bolt on the rear of the starter.

Can you post a picture?

direct drive on the rleft, gear reduction on the right

Attachments

Last edited:

TexAndy

ooh, I found a replacement nose cone, too

Part No. 511111 Delco OE# 1985567*, 10496538, Lester Nos: 6343

It says it's a no shim housing, tho. Matches the part number on the -34P, tho "10496538" on page 40-1

It also says "For: Delco 27MT Series DD Starters" ??? That looks exactly like the nose cone on my starter and going by the pictures above, that's not direct drive... it's gear drive, right?

Reason I was even looking there was to try to figure out the bolt size for the 2 gauge wire connection from the 24V terminal block so I can call the napa place down the road (about 40 miles) and see if they have both 2 gauge wire and 2 gauge ring terminals with the correct size hole. I'd simply measure the bolts, but the vehicle is at my friend's house, about 30 miles down the road.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The DD means Direct Drive

The gear reduction is the 28MT and the direct drive is 27MT. I will have to look tomorrow to see if they are the same nose cone.

Too many tornados in the area right now.

Do you just need the starter cable? I may have one on my parts truck.

Last edited:

TexAndy

Dern... do you know if maybe an older version of the -34P would have the correct part number for the gear drive version?

Yeah, the Minot afb motor pool private just cut the cable when he took the starter motor off.

Let me know how much you want for it/shipping to 78102.

eta:

Oh, I am an idiot... I see the difference now. Flange or no flange. I'm pretty sure it did NOT have a flange. So I think maybe it is direct drive. Though it was a pretty big starter.

Last edited:

kapnklug

I don't think 4 gauge wire is going to do it for that starter; I just replaced the 2 ga in my M1009 because it was getting hot after extended cranking (I used 2/0 welding cable, around $3/ft). Also, don't forget to bolt down that little brace on the back of the starter; a friend of mine got careless that way and when he tried to start it, the starter broke the corner off the engine block! Helloooo, new engine!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dern... do you know if maybe an older version of the -34P would have the correct part number for the gear drive version?
Thje 28MT Gear Reduction starter is the newer replacement for the direct drive. I haven't found the part number for the GR nose cone yet. I looked this morning and they are NOT the same. The nose cones on both of these starters are really for 2wd trucks. The 4wd nose cose has a small opening to help keep dirt and grime out.

Here are some pictures of how the bracket attaches.

I looked and the starter cable I have is damaged. Part number 12039272 The wiring diagram in the -20p manual Figure 49, kind of shows you how it is hooked up. It is item #16.

I have also included at GM Service Manual for the 28MT starter

Attachments

Last edited:

TexAndy

Thje 28MT Gear Reduction starter is the newer replacement for the direct drive. I haven't found the part number for the GR nose cone yet. I looked this morning and they are NOT the same. The nose cones on both of these starters are really for 2wd trucks. The 4wd nose cose has a small opening to help keep dirt and grime out.

Here are some pictures of how the bracket attaches.

I looked and the starter cable I have is damaged. Part number 12039272 The wiring diagram in the -20p manual Figure 49, kind of shows you how it is hooked up. It is item #16.

I have also included at GM Service Manual for the 28MT starter

Wow, thanks Warthog.:-D

Yeah, mine looks like the one on the left in that first picture, so I'll bet it's a direct drive after all. It's got the bolt for the rear bracket sticking out on the rear, rather than the flange.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There a wire purple in color that they have cut off with this is sel wire to send elec. current to actvate the starter. Big red cable to pos + to Pos on power Strip. on the bulk head. this will make silple. repair.