• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dumb Question Of The Year

SasquatchSanta

This will probably qualify for the dumb question of the year award but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Both the engines I've had in my deuce --- the one I took out and the new one I installed last December have had a ticking sound in them that sounds like a lose rocker arm (lose valve adjustment).

I was so certain that I had a lose valve adjustement in the old engine that I pulled the rocker covers and checked / adjusted the valve settings. They were all right on the button as no doubt the new engine is.

All engines have their unique sounds. What is it with the ticking noise?

I'm guessing it's a ignition noise but if it's a valve noise I'm worndering if there is anyway
to quiet it down. Seems like I remember seeing felt or cotton pads that lay in top of the rocker arms.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Dumb Question Of The Year

WillWagner said:
Gasser or Multi?
Multi-fuels,Will. I have the same "fast ticking" sound in my LDS also. I have not been able to determine what makes it either.

Bjorn, have you noticed this sound in your LDS in the 757?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Dumb Question Of The Year

Sometimes I get it in my 6.2l. Not a dumb question by any means. A dumb question is who made my 6.2l diesel in my CUCV? Or where does that fluid in my driveway come from?

FreightTrain

Banned

These are 40 year old diesels.They have what todays diesels don't have......the sound of a diesel rattle....What your hearing is a injector fire......that or you are hearing the aircompressor or governor......

SasquatchSanta

Thanks for the insight FreightTrain.

"Infector fire" --- I kinda figured it was something like that but didn't have a name for it.

Summer is coming to the Northwoods so yesterday we put the water pump fan back on Rosie. The electric fan works great in the winter and is something that I feel (IMHO) is necessary up here in the sub-arctic. With the water pump fan the engine won't warm up in the winter. Having said that, if I work the truck very hard in the summer I could easily have cooling problems with the electric fan and no water pump fan. Therefore I've decided to install the water pump fan in the spring and remove in in the fall. Anyway --- what I'm leading up to is that the water pump fan makes the engine noises, "injector fire" as you call it a LOT louder.

I think the water pump fan blows all the noise back in the cab --- like I said --- it's a LOT louder with the water pump fan.

Jake0147

Even if the fan only draws a HP or two worth of power, it's a high percentage of the power that the engine develops at an idle. That means with the same engine speed, the same accessory drive noises, etc, that the fuel will be "turned up" by the governor to accomodate the added load while maintaining the set low idle. If the above is correct (and I'm assuming that it is) then it would stand to reason that the injector noises and the actual firing of the fuel will become noticably louder.

beaubeau

Well I am no Engineer, but been around diesels since before General Electric was a General! I have noticed through the years that most Diesels have a Nock or In ballance on every Rotation, and I swear the Cummins 250 is the worst for it. I detect in in the Multifuels, and it is in both of my 5.9 Cummins and I believe my Cat 3406 had the same thing. I compare it to a clock that has 58 minutes to the hour for Ballance, instead of 60mins.. When it gets to 58 minutes, it jumps, or Skips to 60mins, and misses 2 mins!!?? Or, I have also said it is like a Loose Weight on the Flywheel and when it gets to a certain place in the Revolution of the flywheel, it Knocks against a solid object in the block.!!?? I don't know if this is what U hear, but it's my observation!!??, Phil.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Dumb Question Of The Year

doghead said:
Bjorn, have you noticed this sound in your LDS in the 757?
Both the deuce and the 757 have a tapping sound at idle, the deuce is more pronounced and may be amplified by a rod bearing problem (also causing a low oil pressure reading).
The tapping noises go away at higher rpm in both engines.

Don't know about a ticking sound, but you know how it is, if you don't look (or listen) for it, you don't see (or hear) it, something to do with "not seeing the trees for the forest". :)

nattieleather

That is the beautiful sound of a diesel motor....It has been know to make some gear heads swoon with pride.... :)

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I say "There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots...." rofl