• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dump truck tailgate tricks???

Tackettr

After I got my M817 home, my dad and I was just standing around looking at it and wondered. How to you get the tailgate from the "rocker" mode to the "normal" swing open mode? I'm not talking about, pull the pins, push up the gate, and put in pins. :-D How did soldiers in the field do it, the tailgate looks heavy! Do you raise the bed and use 2-3 guys? Use a come-along? Loader? What are the tricks? Thanks in advance.

M1075

The most important thing when adjusting the tailgate is to not drop it on your head or even the ground. :-D It is a heavy lift from the ground back up. Ask me how I know!

M813A1

HI Tackettr !! We use to raise the gate up by hand !! , First Do Not open the lower door latch. all you have to do is push up on the gate gate in the middle should take ( 2 or 3 guys), my need a hammer to get it to move up out of the the wing ends !! rotate up inthe the upper hinge points and then put the pins in . rotate the wing to the side and hook them back !!

M813A1

Hi ya it does help a little but if you got a loader it should be a breeze to rotate the gate up into the dump gate position !!! more time then not we used or dumps with the gate down on the wings !! Joe and I have to find a tailgate for the Dump he and I are getting !!

Tackettr

One picture of the tailgate up or what I call "Normal".

The other is in the "Rocker" position, using the "wings".

For the "Spreader" position, it is in the up or normal position but when you open it at the bottom it is limited by the chain to your desired amount.

Man Westfolk is quik on the draw!

Attachments

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

well, i'll tell ya, i'll be 60 yrs old in dec. am 6'1" and weigh 215 lds. and i just get under the gate and give it a good heave -ho, and most of the time you do need a hammer to drive the pins in.

CGarbee

I'm like the other guys who just muscle it around... Maybee that why I get up in the morning and go do my PM still... :) I also keep a small sledge in the toolbox as it helps to unstick the pins (and it's part of my tire changing gear that I keep in hand just in case...).

I think my ratio of "do it by hand" to "use the loader bucket" is about twenty to one...

The Operator's Manual has great illustrations showing how to rig the tailgate for various loading/unloading operations.

The photos and video above are great.

Good luck.