• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dunes Report, ECO Hubs

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to try the ECO Hubs in the sand and finally got a chance this weekend. 2nd gear off the line takeoff is the only place I have noticed a hit in performance since deleting the 2:1 hubs with the ECO hubs. I was a little concerned that it would impact my ability to get rolling, or otherwise reduce my sand performance, which is pretty important for me. It actually turns out to make the sand performance better. Folks familiar with sand driving will know that momentum is crucial for climbing dunes. Prior to the ECO hubs, 2nd gear wasn't fast enough to really climb any hills without digging in, but 3rd gear was really too fast to navigate the rough sand (whoops) that are usually at the base of the hills without feeling like I was thrashing the truck. Now 2nd gear is the perfect gear. Basically I lock it down to 2nd with the shift selector on approach to the hill, and then give it the beans. Basically winding the engine out gives me enough power and momentum for the hill-climb, but if I have a little too much speed, letting off gets me back under control quickly due to the engine braking. For my style of driving, now 95% of the time I only need 2nd.

I also found a wet area where fresh-water cut through the sand creating some steps. I was able to test the ability to climb some small sand-steps with the 2:1 hubs deleted, and I was pleased to find that other than needing to get on the stall convertor a little heavier than times past, the truck was able to torque over them no problem.

Below are a few of videos of me trying to stump the ECO hubs, I couldn't do it and this is about the most I like beating on my truck so I don't think I am lacking at all in off-road performance.

1684725388010.png

1684725287450.png

1684725332662.png

Last edited:

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
Good looking truck! Thank you for the review and videos! I was wondering if you were in 1st gear (manually shifted) 1 on those step
ups. You truck didn’t seem to struggle at all! What a nice area to off-road! Great to hear it’s working out for you!

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking truck! Thank you for the review and videos! I was wondering if you were in 1st gear (manually shifted) 1 on those step
ups. You truck didn’t seem to struggle at all! What a nice area to off-road! Great to hear it’s working out for you!
Thanks! Those videos were all with the truck in 2nd gear. I did try manually selecting 1st gear earlier in the day, but that was pretty much a granny gear and I mainly wanted to compare performance in 2nd and up. It seems to me in all but the most extreme cases, you can get by staying in “D” with mode on and not need to monkey with the shifter.

Ned81

Great write up and videos.
What engine does your truck have?
I have an A0 and worried I won’t have the hp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great write up and videos.
What engine does your truck have?
I have an A0 and worried I won’t have the hp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the 330HP 3126B motor in there. I wouldn’t worry about not having enough power. Basically you have enough speeds in the transmission that you will just operate at a lower gear to do the same thing. The only time I would worry is if you had a certain off-road scenario you do on a regular basis that your truck absolutely cannot do in any other gear but locked in first gear. If your truck currently handles everything you throw at it in normal drive mode (starting in 2nd) then I wouldn’t give the ECO hubs a second thought in that regard.

Just my two cents…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks