• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duramax HMMWV playin' 2wd fun!

humslr

Finally getting out and playing with my Dmax Humvee. The off road shakedown starts!
Lot's of fun!
The sound on the video was messed up, so I put a little music to it, hope it doesn't offend.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efBWDgvYM1U[/media]

Blair

humslr

It started as a fun project, then SOCOM got curious. Anyway, this is part of the "shakedown" trying to see what breaks. All 12,100 stuff, brakes, halfshafts etc. LBZ motor, 6 speed allison, xhd t-case etc.
goodguyzy, I thought you were saying it makes you sick that I did that to a Humvee., then I read drool.
We're trying to get this nailed down and more "robust" this is just the test mule. Marketed as a fast forward attack HMMWV.
Blair

cleb

I want one!! I've always thought that would be an awesome conversion to do, glad someone finally did it! I would be curious about how fast it is on the road/packed dirt. It ain't no race car I'm sure, but you can get some beans outta them duramax's.

jwaller

any build pics? did you have to do a body lift like the Alpha? 12 volt conversion?
I put the alpha hubs and 12.1 driveline in mine for the thought of a duramax later on.

humslr

Don't like the helical gears of the Alpha, just good old 1151 stuff. Big halfshafts/splines top gear etc. x-hd transfer case out of a 3500, all 07 stuff. LBZ motor PPE programming.
Yes, it's lifted 2 inches and the hood an additional inch.
As far as speed, I've done 120 in it, gets kind of busy, not a whole lot of fun--I've got to work on that.
With a 6 speed Allison, no telling about the top speed 130? I'm sure it would be redline limited.
All 12 volt. New military LED light kit all round.

jwaller

Don't like the helical gears of the Alpha,

what is it you don't like about them other than the cost and finding a set.

how did you put a military 24V light kit on the 12v truck?

so the hood is raised 3" and the rest of the truck 2" how does that look? how did you fix the steering rod and lift hooks for the lift?

humslr

No, I can get sets of Alpha hubs, not a problem. It's a long story, there's been a few campaigns on them. Lot's of issues. The straight cut ones are bulletproof-tried and true.
The light kit was a "special" 10-30 volt kit. Notice they're black plastic. I'll get more pictures soon.
This isn't a finished project, I have not lengthened the d-rings. The body was only 2 inches, so you modify the hole for the steering shaft--do it all the time on H1s.
As far as looks, that's speculative, I think it looks fine. Most couldn't tell. Again, not too concerned about the form, mostly function right now.

goodguyzy

It started as a fun project, then SOCOM got curious. Anyway, this is part of the "shakedown" trying to see what breaks. All 12,100 stuff, brakes, halfshafts etc. LBZ motor, 6 speed allison, xhd t-case etc.
goodguyzy, I thought you were saying it makes you sick that I did that to a Humvee., then I read drool.
We're trying to get this nailed down and more "robust" this is just the test mule. Marketed as a fast forward attack HMMWV.
Blair
ill be drooling for a long time after seeing that

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nice job! I would love to see some more close up pics sometime. I always thought it would be a blast to do a conversion like that ever since seeing PPE's HMMWV in an issue of Diesel Power. Any hub issues after your donut session or 120 mph street runs? Which t-case are you running? NP242HD?

Alredneck

Banned
Im guessing a NV271HD t-case. They are really tough but I have broke one in my dodge. Using this case would also allow for the two wheel drive only option though the front end would still spin just no power applied.

Pretty sweet ride. If you want to give it a good shack down i can give you recovery support with a Duece, 5ton, or M816 wrecker down in the Covington Pike bottoms. Got some really nasty holes down in there. Not much for the rock crawling, for that I head out west to AZ or NM. Been trying to get to CO for some wheeling but last trip was in the P71 Vic.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Im guessing a NV271HD t-case. They are really tough but I have broke one in my dodge. Using this case would also allow for the two wheel drive only option though the front end would still spin just no power applied.

Pretty sweet ride. If you want to give it a good shack down i can give you recovery support with a Duece, 5ton, or M816 wrecker down in the Covington Pike bottoms. Got some really nasty holes down in there. Not much for the rock crawling, for that I head out west to AZ or NM. Been trying to get to CO for some wheeling but last trip was in the P71 Vic.
Oh yeah, that t-case would make more sense with the 2wd option.

The Covington Pike bottoms are a blast! I forgot all about that place. There are some nasty, swampy holes in that place. My wife and I had to rescue some poor schmuck from out of town who took his brand new stock Tahoe there to test the 4x4 before heading back to MS. We yanked him out with my old '84 CUCV 1009.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks