• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Durhamtown Lawsuit

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine living near Greensboro called me today and told me about a 14.5 million dollar lawsuit against Durhamtown Plantation. It seems that two riders have been injured one lost a leg. If true this could impact future rallys, at least at Durhamtown.

Welder1

A friend of mine living near Greensboro called me today and told me about a 14.5 million dollar lawsuit against Durhamtown Plantation. It seems that two riders have been injured one lost a leg. If true this could impact future rallys, at least at Durhamtown.
The lawsuit resulted in a 14.2 million dollar award for the injured rider. There is a news report on this. The rider crashed on an exposed metal culvert pipe.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lawsuit resulted in a 14.2 million dollar award for the injured rider. There is a news report on this. The rider crashed on an exposed metal culvert pipe.
Please post the source of the article so we don't have to search. Most businesses have liability insurance and Durhamtown is no exception and I'm sure their insurance will delay paying till all the appeals have been heard, which could be several years. DT's insurance rates will be going up in the meantime, so expect higher prices for almost everything there.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It used to scare the bejeeze out of me watching those tiny little kids riding those little bikes on the bomber track near the Rally compound.

I can't imagine how this may have happened but I have seen a few things up there that I thought was "less than safe".

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oooooof.

Ajax MD

Please post the source of the article so we don't have to search. Most businesses have liability insurance and Durhamtown is no exception and I'm sure their insurance will delay paying till all the appeals have been heard, which could be several years. DT's insurance rates will be going up in the meantime, so expect higher prices for almost everything there.
Having worked with similar organizations who have faced similar judgements, what will more likely happen is that eventually the insurance company will pay out after the appeals (as you stated) and then the insurance company will dump them. Other insurance companies will also likely refuse to cover the organization in the future as they are now considered "high risk."

This could impact Durhamtown's future viability.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the lawsuit probably started shortly after the accident, this might explain why they have been raising the rates on us so much in the ensuing years - the insurance company has already raised their rates, and probably dictated some maintenance changes that cost money, so DT is just passing the cost on to their customers in the form of higher fees.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Since the lawsuit probably started shortly after the accident, this might explain why they have been raising the rates on us so much in the ensuing years - the insurance company has already raised their rates, and probably dictated some maintenance changes that cost money, so DT is just passing the cost on to their customers in the form of higher fees.
I so want to make a comment that would be political in nature. But I'll refrain. I suspect you're absolutely correct though.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I so want to make a comment that would be political in nature. But I'll refrain. I suspect you're absolutely correct though.
They are only shooting themselves in the foot, The first time I came 3 years ago was massive; 2019? 1/3 in size if that much, many swore they’d never return after the 2019 attitude and price GOUGING.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Wrong in so many ways. Not being able to see the culvert pipe or seeing the property in general, are they to guard every tree or creek crossing?

Although the youngster was hurt and is in bad condition, and hope he recovers as well as he can, does not the parents or rider have any responsibility? Gees and they would be the first to wonder why there is no place to ride. I raced motocross when a kid but never would I have thought about suing someone for letting me ride on their land.

I am glad that I always had my own places to go or stay home and do my thing, and family has access here. But for those that are responsible for their actions, I hope they have somewhere to go.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I thought it was funny that they would not allow us to ride our mowers on the trails, but yet a quad is safe, or a side by side that you can impale yourself on a tree branch real easily.

None of it is SAFE from someone's perspective...

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are only shooting themselves in the foot, The first time I came 3 years ago was massive; 2019? 1/3 in size if that much, many swore they’d never return after the 2019 attitude and price GOUGING.
The price was high indeed but I think the forecast for the monsoon and it’s eventual arrival had a great impact on attendance and attendees bugging out early

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like every thing else in life it's not cheap!
I will still be attending to see everyone and enjoy being with friends. It's only one time a year and they give us plenty of freedom to run the woods half the night.

I have never been approached by anyone to tell me I was doing anything wrong or I couldn't be here or there.

And until someone else buys a bunch of land spends money to put trails in and cabins and power and sewer I guess we have no other options

I appreciate we have a place to all get together and be able to play with the trucks and see old friends

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks