• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duuane's M135 repower thread

DUUANE

Ok so i managed to dodge the rain long enough to pour the rust treatment in the cylinders of the 302 today..vavles are still stuck solid so i wont get full roration out of it but it should at least move..may have to take the head off and work the valves ..then put it back and re treat..it took just inder a gallon of solution including spillage.

Ill try and take some more boroscope pics in a day or 2

DUUANE

Well..weather and work took care of my free time and i managed to leave the treatment in for 10 days or so..

Limited joy...the full gallon made it past the rings into the pan..but its still stuck as ****..ill take some bore-o-scope pics tomorrow and either pour it back in for a second round or if i have time ill peel the head off and have a look..its a shame..theres a rebuild tag on the side of the block...i have a feeling things went wrong with this one..more than just frozen from sitting..
The Doctor Is in..and he recomends..AMPUTATION.

gentrysgarage

After soaking mine for almost 2 months and taking the head off. I recommended for you anyway...if its that stuck if it gets unstuck it still needs boring...or just use it to take care of mosquitos.....if they can even survive up there! But mine was still stuck it was the lifters 3 were frozen solid...those came out she rotated! Made it real easy to unbolt 1944MB's transmission!

But wait!! The title says
Duuane's RePower thread...seems like it was in the plans from the start or are you just trying to trick us! LOL!!!!

Last edited:

DUUANE

Hahah..you are observant! No tricks..just had luck freeing up a couple of engines with this product..but like you said theres always more to jam up besides the rings..cam and lifters are an excellent next step for sure..usually when an engine hangs up there you can get a little backlash on the crank..this one iiiiiiiis solid..3 valves stuck down and pushrods not in the right place..not bent but definately not on top of the lifter..i like to spend time as time allows to autopsy the carnage before beginning a rebuild.
I think i have the right part number for the flywheel housing and flywheel i need..but i think there may be a clearance issue to the front axle upper torque rod..measurements will be taken tomorrow...i need to make sure the sae2 stuff will make it in...if not..it may instigate the dreaded "Plan B"..
Stay tuned..

DUUANE

Ok..I'm bumping this up in anticipation of actually making some more progress digging deeper into the guts of the beast and easier to post some pics.

DUUANE

Ok so with my government imposed free time i am officially social distancing myself in the yard. Gate locked tools in hand. I got the front clip off today. I wish they were all as easy as the 135. Time to get the measuring tape and square and start figuring things out.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's that green stuff on the floor? Who would have thought this would be the excuse to skip work and do something fun for a change.

You're feeling healthy? Ready to carefully rip and tear avoiding pinch points? Grinding with full face shields? Cutting towards your friends and not towards yourself?

Good to see you back at it. What's the next step?

DUUANE

Measuring,measuring, more measuring, some beard pulling and more measuring..im sure after that ill be measuring something again. Luckily i have a small pile of 350's to start with.
The 302 is about 32.5" from bellhousing to the center of the crank pulley belt groove. Ye old 350 is about 25"if i use an early single groove lower pulley. If lady luck smiles on me i will be able to make an appliance that picks up the block at the 4 1950' s front mount locations that ties into the stock engine mounts from the 302 so i can keep the generator and compressor mounts. Ill know more soon. I was thinking as long as the distributor clears the firewall there might be enough room to build in a small hydraulic motor to run off the steering pump to turn the stock genny, compressor and engine fan..excavator style. Then i could run a second alternator for god knows what purpose..it would be packed but might be doable. Ill report back soon. As far as grinding..delegate delegate delegate ;-) definately will stay away from the pinch points..except if its the wife.

Attachments

DUUANE

"What's that green stuff on the floor?"..thats hillarious. Its a welcome change from service puddle #9. I'm feeling good at the moment. It's funny. I have to deal with rep's from all over the world on every new boat. Just before christmas i had a bit of a runny nose for a few days. Chocked it up to the regular slavery routine of long hours and wet and freezing. Went home..it cleared up. Just after boxing day we were at my brothers place and my wife had chills and light nausea so i took her home. This contiued for 2 days with headache. She felt better. I returned to work for the 3rd of Jan. 2 days later i had a day of headache and..hmm..am i gonna puke?..no not now..oh maybe now..nope not now. Really annoying when youre pulling on a 15 ton chainfall. That left. Then a day of gastro inestinal disaster and headache..then nothing..2 nights later i wake up coughing..and i mean coughing. Coughed my brains out till 7am. Finally fell asleep. Got up at 10 to head to work. No cough. Next night, same deal. Then nothing. Except i had no wind. As soon as i did even mild exertion i would be out of breath.
The big drydock has stairs that go up the outside. When the ship is too tall for a regular stair tower we have to hike the stairs of doom. They go up 5 stories in 3 flights about half way in steepness between a ladder and a set of stairs.
Normally i can just about sprint up. After the coughing nights,for about 3 weeks i had to stop to catch my breath at each landing. And by the time i got to the top i was so out of breath i couldnt talk. It was a long job.
I pushed through and about 3 weelks ago a had a night of crazy..i mean abducted by vietnamese hookers that turned out to be aliens flying a tahoe that was a space ship crazy.

Woke up and felt awesome. So hopefully that was my innoculation with the sars-cov2.
But i am taking no chances. Full hazmat protocols on and off site.

I hope you and yours are all safe and well and prepared for the challenging times ahead.

A strong detergent like sunlight is the best. It cuts the lipid layer around the virus.
Then bleach to finish the job.
A small trigger sprayer with a generous squirt of scumlight and a couple of capfulls of bleach fill with water and spray it on everything in sight. The 1-2 punch will be more effective than strong bleach that will irritate your throat and lungs and make infection easier.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alberta was only testing sick folks and those that 'thought' they had covid. Only one in 100 tested positive, 1%. Odd days.

Seeing that green grass is amazing. We're getting hammered with snow again so those pics are appreciated more than you know.

Attachments

DUUANE

Ill send some more uplifting pics tomorrow. Its the same here. Not many test kits so the only ones tested are the people sick enough to present at the ER. 1% sounds about right.
The upside to snow is it reflects light. Easier to keep your spirits up. My place here has 150' high fir trees all along the south side. Winter may be green but 7 months of dark, grey and pouring rain make it hard to get a mil spec chubby to go lie under a truck.
Lucky for me i've been an outside dog my whole life. Never had an indoor or warehouse job and im mostly unaffected by weather. The dank and grey was the hardest for the wife to adjust to when we moved her out here from alberta. Forecast for surrey says -1 overnight day after tomorrow thats pretty late in the season for us.

To switch channels now. I'm going to grab the compressor numbers off the other thread and compare to my tag..see what i can come up with. Does the manual list a cfm rating? I just have downloads of the tms on my phone..ill have to get hard copies soon. I have another compressor off one of the CT800's it'd be usefull to compare the flowrates

Last edited:

DUUANE

Todays pics from the rust pit. Unloading some props and goodies..2x203 transfer cases for future doubler projects..currently top secret. A mopar 400 junk block and crank to mock up to the giant spicer 5spd so i can start figuring out the engine mounts and tcase placement on the 426max wedge/chevy K30/M37 build.

Attachments

DUUANE

Well..ive boxed myself in a bit..have to get this truck a little more completed before i can yank the power pack on the M135. Hopefully rock auto will zap my new rubber engine mount isolators over quickly so i can get on with the big fun. Im gonna have to recheck the king pin incination on this. 7° down on the pinion seems like a lot. The 52" front spring conversion and a little more shackle have spiced things up apparently.
Itll be nice having a beefy pto to run hydrauilcs. Next ill scout some crossmembers for the np200 and ill be looking for a small step ladder :cool:

Attachments

DUUANE

Thanks! Ive been at the right place at the right time several times over the last 35 years. I've wanted my own M135/211 since i was about 7 so the first yard ride will be a big deal.

DUUANE

Well the big book of spicer says 4° caster for the early dana 70F and 6° with power steering..itll be interesting to see how much pinion angle they built into the housing.

DUUANE

I crawled under the 135 this morning and started removing the driveshafts and linkages..pleasantly surprised that it wanted to come apart. Had the jack shaft split and the front driveshaft out in less than 30 mins. I think the worst of it will be getting the floor plates out. I hosed everything down with aero kroil so hopefully things will go well..no one likes it dry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks