• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Duuane's M135 repower thread

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gotta look to see what they used on the fasteners in the maintenance depot. Whatever it was it works great. My deuce was buried in deep mud in a coal mine at one time. We chiseled.......I chiseled chunks of mud out from behind the airpak, air tanks and all the pockets through the frame. It took days. I did get help pulling the box and a Landscape architect from the City of Edmonton was able to remove the large box bolts....all by himself.......an architect. Everything comes apart great until I say everything comes apart great.
Be safe over there, I'll bet you're like a robot with your jha's and safe work practices every step! Rigging, hoisting, spill kits, working alone policy, communications in place, 1 hr contact with outside source, fire extinguishers and first aid kits in place.....oh and put a t-shirt over your face.

DUUANE

I did find one curious thing. The front output on the tcase is leaking. Not through the seal..through the splines. Pulled the driveshaft and it puked a little oil. Good thing the plywood..er..spill kit was there.

DUUANE

The castleated stover nuts are a great thing. They act like a die and give the crud a place to go as youre winding them off..when its going back together ill be using liberal ammounts of ceramic anti sieze. Once its on there...even if you cant see it..its on there. What a huge improvement in build quality as compared to an M37. Dodge fine thread bolts made out of hard cheese.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ceramic anti sieze.
Is there a Prairie civilian equivalent to that? I'm guessing that's the stuff West coast hippies use in their pottery classes or on their ferries?

I tried finding the seal that would rot down and cause spline seep but this thing is so full of holes it's surprising there's oil in there.

The SNL ORD G749 parts list is right here so schematics and parts info is available.

P4111276.JPG

DUUANE

Ferries..definately ferries. Rolls royce has its own version that is a sealant as well..those crazy limeys. I'll have to check the torque on the flange retaining nut. If it wasnt cranked down enough maybe the leakage is an indication of spline wear.

DUUANE

Aaaaand..its out. Eyeing things up with the tape..it looks like the allison is about 5/8" longer than the hydramatic. The allison flywheel housing is 1 1/2" deeper. The block is a full 10" shorter in length so that leaves 8 7/8" of wiggle room and extra clearance to the distributor/firewall. The rub is going to be the compressor. If i could turn it around and have to body of it forward and the pulley aft it would be no problem. That would reverse the rotation. What would be the consequences of that? Would it care which way it turned? Its reed valves right?

Attachments

Last edited:

DUUANE

Another job out of the way..I'm trying to maximize crane placement by doing 2 conversions at the same time. Altered the chevy CUCV K30 frame to work with the big block chrysler and its stock mounts. Spot on in all the right places. Tomorrow ill get started on the rear crossmember and mounts.

Attachments

Last edited:

DUUANE

Well.. Covid and the SIr Wilfrid Laurier have conspired to burn up all my free time. The Laurier went back in the water yesterday 1 full week ahead of schedule so thats a good thing. Maybe tomorrow i'll be able to do something usefull in the yard. I have a line on a 427 industrial that i'm chasing. If sucessfull that will make things a lot easier in that it will already have a full dress of accessories AND an air brake compressor, so a lot less fiddling with building brackets and such. I'll post up some pics when/if the engine lands in the pile. on a side note i tripped over a set of AAM axles out of a '07 dodge 3500 for cheap so the dana 70f and 14B are coming out of the M37 project. All the dodge coil spring mounts are cut off and blended nicely but i have some work to do boring a hole in one of the webs and making a weldment to the underside of the chunk to allow me to use a U bolt in place of the the studs that are usually there on a dana 70/60f. Its also a drivers drop housing so i'll be able to use up one of the ford divorced np205 units that i've been tripping over in the shop for the last couple of years and leave the np200's for the ambulance and my wc62 as spares.

DUUANE

Because i am a curious monkey..
Does anyone out there know the bore and effective stroke of the stock air pak output piston in our trucks? I'd like to do some figuring before i go opening the brake system and let all the rust in.
There are different wheel cylinders for the Canadian Vs. American trucks so ive read ..is it 1 3/8" Canadian and 1 1/4" American? I'm trying to get all this info in this thread for the future.
Not having a parts truck is a hassle sometimes.
Thanks

DUUANE

Bah...work has conspired to occupy all of my waking hours of late. The high deck chevy v8 is still sitting in the other truck in another yard..safe for the moment. Little has progressed since the last installment save the purchase of a bullmoose craneto help with the heavy lifting around the yard.

More to come.

DUUANE

Well...i got a day off..but not enough time to go pull the new engine for the deuce. So i put the new hood on the 1960 GMC 930. I've been waiting almost 8 years to find a '60 GMC hood for it. One more job out of the way.

Happy day

Attachments

DUUANE

Wellllll..better late than never.. i take delivery of the donor truck for the repower tomorrow. Unfortunately the VIN says its a 366. Not that big a deal to me really but i will be on the hunt for a 427 to replace it when the 366 coughs its last gasp. Lots of other usefull parts on it for other projects so overall its a win. Will post some pics tomorrow if i can.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's hilarious and ironic at the same time. The picture shows my GMC on a trailer to Port Alberni in B.C. It had a 427 in it when we bought it back around 2003 and we eventually put a 366 in it to "save on fuel". The fella from Port Alberni put a Cummins in it so he could tour the hills better so who knows........maybe you'll end up with my 366. Good to see you're keeping at it.

20150628_200358.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was too busy to worry about the block and it became the core exchange. The block shop said it came out of a Corvette so it was a loss. Who has ever said " I wish I never got rid of that ____________".

DUUANE

I hear you with that. every time i send something away i immediatly kick myself..unfortunately it cant all stay. So heres a couple pics of "The Victim" I'll have to put a propane mixer on it and see how it runs. The back end is coated in tar and gravel but the body is good and the chassis is low miles surprisingly. Very tight steering and front end.. so if it turns out everything is good..maybe i wont break it up. MT643 and a 2spd rear is a weird combo though.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well look at that. It's an identical truck to the pic I posted, that's funny. Our 427 and 366 was tied to an automatic too. It was a tough transmission. We slid a 1200 gallon tank in the box and hauled heavy all the time. That combo in a 12,000 lb deuce would be a rocket ship.

Did you turn on a big light bulb for the picture or are you guys actually getting sun finally?

DUUANE

Sunny clear and cold..for the wet coast. Supposed to snow on sunday..my only day off.
But the frosty silver lining is if i get out there with the air hammer and 5 or 6 pots of speed mud i should be able to pound off all the tar while its nice and brittle. So thats my plan.
And a mechanical once or twice over for the engine. When i first looked at the truck i thought the trans was burnt..but on closer inspection it looks like it has 15w40 in it. Its too thick and clear to be cooked transynd or dexron.
Driveshaft in, propane gear on. Check cap,rotor and plugs. Install a good battery and see if it goes *bang*

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks