• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DW Fording switch

riderdan

So at some point in its life, my HMMWV had a fording kit installed and then later removed. The hole in the dash where the switch used to be was filled in with a huge, ugly blob of body sealant. It looked pretty hideous so I removed the blob. But not there's a hole that lets in heat from the engine compartment

I eventually plan to install the DWF setup, but money is tight at the moment. In looking around for something to plug the hole, I've found a few plastic plugs that would fit, but I'd prefer to just throw a fording switch into the hole. I haven't had any luck locating the switch except in the whole kit.

Anyone have a line on these?

TIA

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only marine and navy trucks got fording kits, the hole is there from the factory for all hmmwv’s.
there is a lot more to the kit then the intake, exhaust and a valve.

riderdan

Only marine and navy trucks got fording kits, the hole is there from the factory for all hmmwv’s.
there is a lot more to the kit then the intake, exhaust and a valve.
And there's my dilemma. I think it's cool but it's not really how the trucks I used to drive were set up... I'll have to noodle on whether or not I want to do something that's definitely not early 90s Europe/Gulf War authentic. Do you know how the holes were plugged originally? None of my pictures from my time in service shows it, and my memory for details stinks. I don't definitely don't remember a big blob of sealant...

I realize there's more to it than the switch, intake, and exhaust. I haven't seen one recently (partly because I haven't been looking I suspect) but the full setup with all the associated hoses, caps, etc has been on eBay a few times. Which is another aspect of my dilemma... not only is it not "authentic" but it's a hassle to install. Here in flat-as-a-pancake Kansas, I don't think I'd ever put it to real use.

Action

And there's my dilemma. I think it's cool but it's not really how the trucks I used to drive were set up... I'll have to noodle on whether or not I want to do something that's definitely not early 90s Europe/Gulf War authentic. Do you know how the holes were plugged originally? None of my pictures from my time in service shows it, and my memory for details stinks. I don't definitely don't remember a big blob of sealant...

I realize there's more to it than the switch, intake, and exhaust. I haven't seen one recently (partly because I haven't been looking I suspect) but the full setup with all the associated hoses, caps, etc has been on eBay a few times. Which is another aspect of my dilemma... not only is it not "authentic" but it's a hassle to install. Here in flat-as-a-pancake Kansas, I don't think I'd ever put it to real use.
Holes were filled with plastic caps. Look at the outside of the left fender. There should be 4 big plugs where the fording exhaust would bolt it. The caps usually get painted over and may look like smooth rivet heads.

Last edited:

papakb

I installed a keyswitch in the hole to disable the start system for security. Think outside the box as to what it could be used for.

NV555

The switch there looks like a battery kill switch that you would use to kill power coming from the battery on a truck. Also for deep water the engine has special dip sticks for the oil and trans. Of course it requires a special tube for both of those as well. I’m sure there are other things as well. Cool project for a weekend +++++

might look like like the starter switch but bigger.

Would make a great great place to dump contraband out of the vehicle if being chased by the sheriff lol. I don’t think many HMMWV owners would have contraband.

Last edited: