• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dyed Diesel / off road fuel.......

boomer

O.K., with all the things you can run in a multi-fuel, what about "dyed" fuel?
It is used in off road equipment- as in construction. Has any one used this? If so, what %, and what were the results (power, perfomance, etc.)?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is no difference at all except the ticket you get if you get caught running off road diesel on the road
:ditto:

You can run dyed diesel in any diesel engine built before 2007. It is illegal though and big fines if you're caught. That's why it's dyed, so they will know if you run it for road use.

Maverick1701

there is no difference at all except the ticket you get if you get caught running off road diesel on the road
Yup, ditto on what has already been posted.

"the man" likes his tax money and if they catch you running non taxed diesel (dyed) on the highway they really dont take too kindly to that
But yes you CAN run it w/out any issues the dye only identifies it as a non-taxed fuel.

wsucougarx

It's my understanding that running WMO or anything other than taxed Diesel or Gasoline will give you a pretty steep ticket. That's coming from my friend a WSP officer. The gov't wants his tax money especially right now amid the funding cuts.

rideni

I have a fuel blenders license in the state of maryland and can remmitt taxes on any fuel I use on a quarterly bases. I got this because people are always giving me old heating oil to run for free but since it is dyed i don't want to get rapped by the tax man

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In SC, it was department of revenue. Easy as can be, and was free. You just submit a report each month for the following month, and you can submit a zero gallons used report.

coyote1

If you do happen to run any dyed diesel through your truck, just remember it takes a few tanks a road diesel to get the dyed outta the fuel system.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On running ATF, an enforcement officer told me one time that if he "stuck" the tank and it came up red you were getting a ticket. It would be up to you to explain in court that it was ATF instead of dyed fuel.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the Dyed Fuel vs ATF note-

Some counties send a sample to labs. Not sure if this is on your part or theirs cost wise, but just an FYI.

Kalashnikov

SInce it came up, how do you show that you've payed tax on a fuel such as WMO? And I know that additives are iffy in some places but would you just show a receipt for x amount and say you added x amount of WMO to it as an additive?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You fill out a form next month for this month. So technically, they can't prove when you put it in your tank, as you don't report it until the following month. They can't prove you won't report it.

Also, you are supposed to report what you added to the tank that month- not actually burned. So you could have a report of 20gallons added 6 months ago, and still be driving off it. All they care about is that you have a license and you send in the reports, having fuel usage to report or not.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would cause a LEO to look in a deuce fuel tank? I'm in CA using Historic Plates. About the only thing I see myself getting stopped for would be a red light or something. It sure won't be speeding.

Just wondering............

Chief_919

On running ATF, an enforcement officer told me one time that if he "stuck" the tank and it came up red you were getting a ticket. It would be up to you to explain in court that it was ATF instead of dyed fuel.
NC sends all fuel samples that come back red to a lab for confirmation. If it comes back as dye, your ticket is in the mail.

Chief_919

What would cause a LEO to look in a deuce fuel tank? I'm in CA using Historic Plates. About the only thing I see myself getting stopped for would be a red light or something. It sure won't be speeding.

Just wondering............
In NC at least, whenever they feel like it.

They tend to gather at tractor shows, livestock auctions, and other places where lots of diesels will end up and walk around dipping tanks in the parking lot.

I have also seen them target vehciles with in bed transfer tanks.

The one time I was dipped I was at a pump filling jerry cans with dyed fuel for generator use, Motor Carrier officer drove by, saw me, and swung around to check me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks