• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

E-Brake works once

3dAngus

My emergency brake was very loose on my M-109 when I first purchased it. I have been working on a lot of other things and finally got around to it. I found the screw on the ebrake was very loose, where it is located under the center part of the undercarriage. I hand tightened it, then I adjusted the hand brake up top on the left side of the drivers seat. It got really snug, like I like it. I tested the brake in reverse, then in forward, and it was very tight when pulled up, or "on". I was very happy and secure at the time.

So I go for an afternoon spin, just to run some fuel though the engine, a weekly endeavor, where I test and round out the tires too.

Everything was fine. When I got back after about a 30 minute drive, the ebrake, after pulling up the handle, did not have any resistance again. I climbed underneath, and the screw that tightens the hand brake by the bell housing was way loose again, and sloppy, but not stripped in any way. I tightened it again, but what is happening is the road vibration works it up and down the long threaded rod, so it is unreliable.

Anyone have a good suggestion on how I can stop it from sliding back and forth? I don't remember if I can get another nut on there to lock it in from the very top or not, and not sure what nut to use. Would locktite be a better solution?

armytruck63

Low strength Locktite might be OK. Once you get things adjusted down below, you should get years of adjustment through the parking brake handle - unless your kid drives the truck around with the parking brake on.

I still like the jamb nut idea better.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

If it is the screw on the end of the cable, it should have a small nut behind the big nut to hold it in place. So should the one at the top that sets how far away from the drum the outer shoe sets. The screw on the outer shoe at the bottom that adjust the little boomerang shapes clip should also have a nut to tighten it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I add a jamb nut, I have had the same experience. That has solved the issue every time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks