• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EAA Airventure - Oshkosh, WI 2018

nchittendon

I am preparing my deuce and camping trailer for the airshow. I will be leaving with my two oldest boys on July 21st. We will be staying until July 29th. The airport is the busiest airport in the world for that entire week. Over 600,000 attendees! My boys and I will be camping in our M105 converted to a sleeping quarters. This is our first Oshkosh air show, and we are excited! I also purchased tickets for the 3 of us to take a ride on a B17!

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure

Anyone else going?

dogtags

I’ll be there all week under the canvas tents of Warbirds Living History Group. Be sure to come on up to the north side (Warbirds display area) and check out all the great planes.

~Robert

Last edited:

54reo

We are leaving home the 21st and staying through the 29th as well.

This is the fifth consecutive year for us and it is beyond words. Through all the years, we have yet to see it all and we always stay for a week at a time.

I don’t know how old your kids are, but be sure to check out the Kidventure site; very good time for the kids and parents both.

The seaplane base is worth the bus ride to see; very relaxing and quiet atmosphere.

We are camping at Sleepy Hollow right at the main gate in our pop up camper.

Have fun!

dogtags

I don’t know how old your kids are, but be sure to check out the Kidventure site; very good time for the kids and parents both.

The seaplane base is worth the bus ride to see; very relaxing and quiet atmosphere.
I second both!

Your boys will love KidVenture! They complete stations and get rewards. Last year my boys took home a tool set for doing the Airframe & Powerplant mechanic “track” and a satchel for completing the air crew “track.” Learning while having fun at its best!

The Seaplane base is a completely different atmosphere. So relaxing compared to the hub-bub at Wittman Field.

Last edited:

54reo

A huge airshow each day, and then two night air shows (wed and sat).

The night shows are really something!

Be sure to bring walking shoes...

nchittendon

This was out first year and WOW!
Now, I've been around and I've done/seen a lot of things. But this took the cake. The entire experience was hands down the coolest thing I've ever done.

We went on Saturday with our deuce and M105C (for camper). I'll start by saying from the second we rolled into the gate, our old deuce was a HUGE hit with the locals. All week long people were taking pictures at our camp and stopping and talking. it was great. We would get on the shuttle bus and people would be talking about it. The kids (the two little ones and this one big one) were pretty proud of our old girl.
IMG_20180721_182036.jpg

I won't even go into details about the whole thing. The recollection I would type would overwhelm the servers. The only thing I'll touch on is the B17 ride I took my kids on. The B17 has been my favorite bird since the day I saw Memphis Belle in the theaters. When I saw that I could get tickets for a flight, I didn't even care the cost. I pulled the trigger immediately. My oldest boy didn't seem to sure of the flying experience. My 6yo was hooting and hollering the entire time. He was right at home in the air. It was about a 40 minute flight, about an hour all together with take off/landing. Once airborne we got to move about the aircraft. Up in the nose....where the bomber and navigator sit......words can't explain the feeling.

IMG_20180725_122725.jpg
This was the only still shot picture I took. However, I did a live stream from during the flight to facebook. And each kid had a gopro attached to their head. I'm still editing the video from that. Enough on that. Once the videos are done, I'll figure out how to post them here, or link them here. Never put videos on here before. I know there are some silly rules about it, but never tried.

We spent a lot of time at Warbirds. Those are where my soul lies.

My dad was a tram driver, so we got all the good information every day first thing in the morning. He was a very valuable resource being it was his 5th year working the trams.

My boys enjoyed all the flight simulators. The oldest one requested that we go back to the Army trailer and do the Apache one daily. By Wednesday/Thursday he was a pro. They had jacked up the simulator difficulty and even the Soldiers manning the trailer were impressed. I told them they would have to wait to recruit, he was only 11.

Here are some of the details of the event....
FB_IMG_1533066276375.jpg

My wife thinks that I got it out of my system and I'll not be returning.

My wife is wrong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks