• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Early 6x6 full time Front Hubs de-splined

Brucedebuilder

Hi
I have an early Deuce ('57) with full time 6X6. I am going (want) to fit a pair of de-splined hubs - just to help maneuverability at low speeds.
Anyone done this mod ? will it help or wreck the axle ?
Bruce

rdixiemiller

If it a REO M35 style truck, and you DO NOT have an air shift transfer case, you will need desplined front drive flanges AND you will need to remove the front drive shaft. If you have an airshift transfer case, you can have a set of drive flanges de-splined on a lathe and you will be fine. I have been running a set on my 1967 Kaiser M35A2 for 2 years. Helps on fuel economy and improves steering.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Won't removing the front driveshaft confuse the sprag and leave it engaged (6x6) all the time? Is that a good idea?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sprag won't engage because there will be no restance from the front driveshaft. The flange will still spin but it won't be loaded. When the rears spin without the front the sprag "thighens" untill the front it turning the same speed. Unless it it overcome by too much power. It doesen't completely "lock up" it wil spin at some point to prevent dammage. If you don't remove the driveshaft it will tighen to keep the driveshafts turning the same speeds. When you despline the hubs and remove the drive shaft the front axle will not turn at all. This will give you better milage and acceleration. And slow speed driveablilty. I switched to a airshift and lockout hubs. I saw a 1 1/2 to 2 MPG increase. And now i can drive through the wal-mart parking lot with one hand on the wheel.
But as they say on TV "your results may vary"

carguy455

And if its worn out it will SNAP and BANG violently everytime you try moving the truck with the wheels turned ,catching and jumping, partially snapping the wheel out of your hands. Eventually breaking into a big exploded exspensive mess ! :cry:

Brucedebuilder

I have now read some more and it appears that my problem may be shifting from rev to 2nd and not going thru' first allowing the sprag to disengage.
One or two articles mention cleaning the sprag components. What sort of job is that ? I cannot find anything in the manual (yet)
Bruce

rdixiemiller

Chances are your sprag is damaged from not using first. The transfer case manuals are in the tech section here, the procedure is covered in detail. I would download the manuals and carefully read them, see what you can do.