• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Early Deuce Studebaker or Reo?

I`ve got an early deuce, seems to be an early, because it has no air horn (electrical), no front axle lock switch (automatic lock in first and reverse gear), headlights are on low postion (not at the top of the grill where they sitting at the newer ones). I want to know the manufacturer and built date.I think originally the truck had another angine, maybe gas and not the multifuel, was also no cargo I think. The serial number from the frame are 0232 - 10827 , hope that helps.Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going off the top of my head, 0232-xxxxx would not have been a gasser. Question, what engine is in it now? Check the right rear engine mount on the frame to see if it's bolted or hot riveted on.

54reo

The headlight position had nothing to do with the engine.

The engine mount that Kenny if referencing is in the first picture. On a repower, the engine mount is bolted onto the frame where the original gasser mount was riveted on.

The gasser-to-multi repowers usually had a unique dash layout as well.

Also, the gasser inner fenders were different than the multifuel inners. You can see on the passenger side inner fender where a torch was used to cut the exit hole for the exhaust pipe.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an original multifuel truck. The right rear frame mount still has the hot rivets.

jasonjc

I`ve got an early deuce, seems to be an early, because it has no air horn (electrical), no front axle lock switch (automatic lock in first and reverse gear), headlights are on low postion (not at the top of the grill where they sitting at the newer ones). I want to know the manufacturer and built date.I think originally the truck had another angine, maybe gas and not the multifuel, was also no cargo I think. The serial number from the frame are 0232 - 10827 , hope that helps.Thanks

If that is the frame # then your truck is a 1967 Kaiser-Jeep M109A3 shop van.?.

jasonjc

The frist 2#'s of the frame number are the lot designator i.e. 01 02 03 up to 10.
The next 2#s are the type of truck i.e. 32 = M109A3 , 25 = M35A2

Lot 01 was built in '66-'67
Lot 02 stated in '67-'68

This info is from "Decoding Deuce Numbers" By David Doyle in Military Vehicles #119
If you want to know more you can look there.

Thanks for information. The hood number says "4K 3137" what about this number, including also the build date? I saw that the same number was painted many times, at the original olive drab from the factory and at least at carc paint.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
It is indeed a 1967 Kaiser-Jeep M109A3 chassis, originally powered by a LD-465. The 4K3137 is the registration number - it normally this number does not change during the service life of the truck. The 0232 number is the manufacturer's serial number.

HTH,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks