• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Early deuce winch in an M35?

Flatlander

I've got a line on a winch from an early deuce. It's the same Garwood winch, but it looks like the driveshaft is a little different. The early deuce doesn't have the frame extensions like the later M35, and it doesn't appear to have the handle on the back of the winch, either. Would I be able to put this in my later model M35? Would the PTO work from this truck? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

westfolk

Yes, get the right driveshaft for the M35. I have taken them off M135s and put them in M35s. The handle you can buy. If it still has the two plates, one on each side of the winch from the old truck, you don't need them. But DON'T get rid of them. Someone will want them.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The driveshaft from the GMC is a reasonably sought after part (they have a tendency to fall out). You should definately get that in the deal, and sell it on eBay.

HTH,
David Doyle

Flatlander

Thanks, guys...what about the pto? I haven't crawled under the truck yet, but I thought I would snag it, too. While I'm there, I will take pics of the trucks this guy has-bunch of WWI and II stuff. The mounting plates are there, so I'll get them too.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Nope, won't fit. The PTO on the M135/M211 is driven by the transfer case. The PTO for the M35 is transmission mounted.

westfolk

While grabbing stuff. On the back of each plate on each side of the winch plates.....there is a piece that is between the plate and the frame, it's a spacer, grab that. After you take the bolts out that hold the winch it is just one bolt that holds that to the frame on each side. People will want them also. Alot guys use washers in place of those spacers.