• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Early GM what year??40,41,42???more pic added!!

acetomatoco

RE: Early GM what year??40,41,42???

From the Vin....A is 1939 thru D is 1942 for a starter..for the design year...there are some clues, but not many in your photos. How do you plan to convert to german (not capitalized intentionally) ? you gonna burn it?

fogman7

well it would be nice to leave it american, but i am getting 1 like this and one like a model 35, this one would be easier to convert to german, down here we have one american unit and one german unit, woulkd be nice to have a restored vehicle for both of us, also they will be restored at a museum when not in use, so it would be nice to have one of each on display,, hard to find a truck in this condition for any restoration plus since they are being GIVEN to me for free, I want to do something good with them that will benefit both of the reenacting units, will work closely with the museum down here, gives us an actual HQ. Did not mean capalize german, I am not a Nazi, but I do collect german, austrian, hungarian and bulgarian military items, besides with one truck for each side, would be good in parades which would be good for drawing more interest in reenacting plus would help advertise for the museum.

fogman7

As far as conversion, I want to make it into a troop carrier, it has a metal flat bed, will use that for the base and build from there up, as far as cab goes, design is pretty close, little work on the grill, the unit I belong to is a Ukrainian unit, so with Ukraine, they had american,german and soviet trucks that were remarked for germany, so hopefully it will not take a ton of work as my budget is not much,will see and keep everyone posted if interested

jds15151

Just a thought, you would probably be better off selling the GMC, Chevy, and using the money to by a late 30's or early 40's Ford & 1/2 ton. You would have less work to make a good looking German Ford troop transport. There have been several on ebay in the last few weeks. Just an idea.

fogman7

would be nice, but they were donated to the museum and the museum gave them to me, both tucks have been in this area since right after the war

pa.rich

Does the museum pay for the repairs and improvements?Also, yes we are always interested in projects, especially the pictures. Please keep us updated. And the truck looks good, what we could see of it.

use of captured equipment

Fogman,

It would actually be legitimate to paint the US built WW2 truck with German (Wermacht) markings as many of these trucks were captured and used as long as they would run. I believe the Squadron Signal publication "Panzer Markings II" has examples of markings on captured equipment.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: use of captured equipment

to masquerade a GMC CCKW or Chevy 1.5 ton as a german vehicle would very very farbe. I know I know captured allied equipment BLA, BLA. A correct impression should be the goal of any unit. It would be no different than painting an old uhaul truck with a German paint scheme. A proper german transport would be a late 30's ford. This is my 2 cents worth.

Please check out our site www.3rdarmored.com

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The M35 should not be used for WWII reenacting either. You will find that most events will not allow the vehicle on the battlefield. There is no conciveable way that a M35 truck was used in WWII. Its like using M14 rifles for a WWI renenactment. I'm not trying to be hard on you. The best thing would be to restore the early GMC and sell the M35 and get a period vehicle.

Chuck H

fogman7

Brought it home today, she is from 1942, I have the previous owners papers and it is listed as a 1942 gmc!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I'd suggest taking a look at the prices good GMC CCKW (which is what you have, assuming it is a 6x6) bring before deciding to modify it. A modified truck would be near worthless (mechanical bits tend to be cheap and abundant), while complete restorable trucks bring fairly large dollars. Weighing the value of what you have (a real CCKW) vs what you want (a representation of a German transport), you currently have the more valuable of the two.

Given that your M34/M35 is not of the era that interests you, and appears to be missing its bed, were I in your shoes I'd consider selling it and using the proceeds to try to by a late 30s or 40s Chevy or Ford to mod into Wermacht vehicle - thus preserving the somewhat historically significant CCKW, either for your use, or for sale for unit funiding.

My .02,
David Doyle

fogman7

WELL, I AM WAITING ON THE TITLES NOW, so i thank everyone is right, i will sell,,however we may use the red truck and make a russian rocket truck, weld metal on the front and in several other area, Ukraine used them against the russians in wwii, but before i do that, i will keep all of that in minnd,,by the way both are 6x6 as all of the drive shafts are there and in tack,in the condition they are both in, any idea on value? not running and than running?
thanks

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

How about a good set of pictures? A russian truck supplied through lend lease would have more than likely been a Studebaker not a GMC. What are you going to do with a rocket truck at a renenactment? You can't fake fire them. Are you planning to be Ukrainian or Russian. Does anyone do an American impression?

jds15151

If you check ebay there is a 1943 hard cab Studebaker (-) bed which would probably be better suited for what you want. Its number is 290138283890. Let everyone know when you the the red truck up for sale. Some pics of the rear/bed would help. Jeff

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

that picture is a Studebaker. A lend lease russian vehicle not Ukrainian

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks