• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Early M151 Question

Sarge29

I did remove all rusted panels to look for any damage on the unibody. There was a small amount of rust on one rail that I had to repair near the center of the body. The new floor panels did not have the drain plugs, they came with the slotted type drain. I have worked on this little mutt for about 2 1/2 years, just taking my time. As far as the paint, I wanted to go 4 color as it was used during the later years of the war ( when I enlisted) and the paint that I have is the paint from that time as well. I kept the paint (original mil spec from supply in the early 1970s) stored inside. I know that there are several things that are not 100% on this 151 but time will take care of that.

Attachments

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was privy to a tour of Sam Werners place in Tracy City, Tenn. back before he let some idiots crush out. And all the straight 151 bodies he had (AND HE HAD A BUNCH) had the dual cowl vents.
And though my memory ain't what it used to be the first M-151 I ever had ( One that WILLY's made)
it also had the dual cowl vents. and the other thing I found different was that the early straight 151's only had one U-joint in the axle shafts( More like a Volkswagen) also as I recall I had a heck of a time when I went to change the rear A-arm bushings. The early 151's just had a rubber bushing like a shock eye where the A-1 arms have a press in torsillistic bushing (The same as used in the A-2). E-brake lever and boot are different(I have some of that stuff,and a NOS boot) also as I remember mine had a round rod headlight guards but I am not sure if those were standard or something done before I got the Jeep. Hope some of that helps. popacom / BILL in Ky.:jumpin:

p.s. There were 3 distinctly different top assy's used through the
series #1. 2 window canvas =151& early A-1
#2. 1 window canvas = latter A-1's and early A-2's #3. 1 window vinyl = A-1's and A-2's

Last edited: