• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Earth Roamer or M109? I'll take a M109!!!

cyberspace_7

Went to wal-mart today and saw a great looking camper! It was on a F550 quad cab body with a custom camper box on it. Wanted a picture, but didn't have the camera with, but I had forgotten my redbox movie I had to return, so I had to go home anyway so I grabbed it! I just know how everyone here LOVES PICTURES!!!! Went home and found there website...

EarthRoamer Home Page

They sure look cool, but with a $250,000 to $300,000+ price tag I think I will stick with a custom M109 camper conversion and spend the difference on actually being able to afford traveling the world! I do like the recessed spare on the back though...the rig ultimately is sweet...

I know I could have hijacked another related camper thread already on the forum, but this camper was a little different...

Attachments

maynard83

The price is just way, way out there. The conversion price alone not counting the vehicle and without extras (such as a winch, air ride suspension, premium tires, etc..) is a whopping $173,000.00, and they are back logged 4-6 months.
They really push the Eco-friendliness of the camper so I guess their customer base are mostly guilty, rich elitists like Mr. Masseuse lover himself Al Gore, who have larger carbon footprints than a small city with a population of 20,000.

BigWill1276

I like the truck, but I don't get why they put 20's with low pro tires:-o Even the spare on the rear has room for some real meat. hopefully those are just transportation tires.

Flyingvan911

You need to add another $55-60K for the vehicle of your choice. The $173K is for the camper only.
I wonder what they could do for a long frame (cargo bed) deuce or 5 ton?

Not all Ford stuff is bad. My first car was (still have it) a 88 Ford E-250 still on the original C-6 tranny and 300 I-6. Almost 290,000 miles. Every car maker has made some great stuff and some bad stuff. It just depends on what the vehicle you choose is equiped with.

Like I said, they can't build a decent trans to save their life. The C6 is a great model, Nissan built their Jatco by copying the same hydraulics, but they quit building C6s back in the 80s because they were not making enough on repairing them. Go figure! Now you have the 4R100W that might last 100k miles, but really needs multiple mods to be considered true HD-gear. GM has the 4L80E that blows away the 4R100W, but that was still not good enough, so now they have Allison doing their transmissions. Like I said, I am a GM man, and just slightly proud of it :razz:

midcounty

M109 hands down! For the 55k of the host vehicle price I could customize a M109 very nicely and use the 173k to take a looooong vacation :driver:

50shooter

Holy street tires Batman. When I saw the pics I thought to myself..." I bet that is a $100K out fit.." Now seeing the actual I have to shake my head. For 1/2 that money there are so many options even if one didn't want a former wicked cool military truck like a M109.

Sure is a good thing that we don't all want the same things in life.