• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easier alternator removal/installation

Rattlehead

I was doing some more work on the deuce today, and in removing the alternator I finally got fed up with messing with the nut and bolt arrangement within that hard to reach area. I took off the mounting bracket and welded the nuts to the brackets. Yeah, I know about welding to cast iron and have done it before with varying degrees of success, but it took pretty well with just a mig weld, no preheating. Now it is just a simple install of the rear bolt working from the top, and a simple install of the front bolt working from the bottom. One wrench and one hand is all you need.

MVtrucker

Easiest way I've found, especially working alone, is to loosen the adjuster, leave the belts resting in the pulley and take the alternator and mounting bracket off together. I remove the aft bolt last so I am working over the fender and can grasp the alternator. When reinstalling, the belts will support one end of thhe alternator while I jiggle a mounting bolt around to get it started.
I hope that I don't have to do another alternator job, but if I do, I'll probably try yor trick.

cten

That sounds just like the way we took ours out.

I am curious why there is just not one long bolt like most cars going through both ears of the alternator.

Still waiting for the place to rebuild it. (going on 4 weeks now).

I was hoping to have the truck ready for our pioneering weekend.

The windshields are almost done. The glass has been replaced and we just need to do some touch up painting and reinstall them.

Oh well!

Regards,