• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

easy 12 volt convertion

tourdog

well boys and girls i am going to get every body all fired up but owell . been reading about convertions last few day even look at that rosman fire equipment site. but when i did my convertion put to new 12 volt alts bought napa 100 amp gm off the shelf bolt right in . now hook one 8gage wire from one alt to one batt .hook one 8 gauge wire to other batt then you know which one is doing what for sure no guess work hook both gruonds same way then to chassie done with that .then put 12 volt gear reduction starter in done. take that restor on fire wall off thow in trash . hook them to wires together or put one new in right to glow plug relay done . move on dont look back install a new amp meter . move on in life . did that with a 1010 i bought with blue box from h ll that was bad thow box in trash taped wire ends tuck up out of site nice and neat like done .truck has been great since no electric promble since just bad glow plug relay put new on been great all the power in world 320 amps love it power for winchs lights any thing i want . put a 3000 watt converter ac-dc in to run hose stuff when power goes out . so dont make such a big deal of converting very easy !!!! move on in life

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why doesn't anyone ever convert their cucv to 6 volts? I'm a minimalist.

jj

And at 6volts you can use golf cart batteries that will endure literally THOUSANDS of deep cycle discharges. Or, maybe you can keep the 24volt system and use golf cart batteries in a series-parallel combination that will endure literally THOUSANDS of deep cycle discharges. HMMMM, don't bother me for a while Lilly, i'll be down in the lab with Grampa.....

swyne

Sweet deal Tourdog. I will consider that when the time comes. I've got my M1028 going good now. As you have probably read on earlier. I guess I started this mess last Sat or Sun. Anyway I finally got to start my truck. I'll post it on the original thread that I started. But if you have the part numbers from those alts you purchased and one more question? If you installed 2 100 amp alts. Where is the other 120 amps coming from. You should only have 200 amps total. you stated 320. Perhaps a typo, but thanks for the easy conversion.

tourdog

well my m1010 is still the old set up one alt on top of the other and they were the lessnevilles so when i did my convertion i had to put lessnevilles back on they bolted in mine are 160 each . but if yours are the one one each side the 100 amp acdelco old style gm will bolt in go to any good napa store tell them you want a 100 amp alt ffor that year truck . should bolt in . if you really want more power you can bolt in a 22si alt the same as most big trucks are useing i did ia a 87 gas with a 350 in just had to modifid the top bracket a little by bending it alittle bit my 87 has 190 amp now so look at that maybe .my 22si was modifid but out of box most are 150 amp that would give you 300 .just remeber bigger power needs bigger wires out should put 8 or 10 gage wire with biggeralts one wire to each alt with respect to wich one each was made to charge and bigger grounds .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks