• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easy M939 Group 31 Change-Over

74M35A2

I changed over to two group 31 batteries in order to make more room under the seat. I was able to fab a super easy hold-down if anybody needs: Just a single 14" long piece of Unistrut, and one existing hold down bolt. On the base, I ditched the factory wood in exchange of two 20" strips of 1"x4" from a pallet, in order to reduce the standing terminal height. Was fast, easy, low cost, and secure. Starts great, even in MI winter. The batteries are 1175CCA each.
image.jpg

Artisan

Good idea w/ the Unistrut. I run 2 DieHard Gold batteries for my NTC Cummins 400
and it spins it FAST w/o issue ever.

I was perusing Unistrut fittings just yesterday trying to get into my mind
what all hey have to offer, SO I CAN MAKE IT MYSELF instead of paying
the large $ they want for some of the stuff...

(If anyone is making Unistrut fittings let me know)

74M35A2

Good idea w/ the Unistrut. I run 2 DieHard Gold batteries for my NTC Cummins 400
and it spins it FAST w/o issue ever.

I was perusing Unistrut fittings just yesterday trying to get into my mind
what all hey have to offer, SO I CAN MAKE IT MYSELF instead of paying
the large $ they want for some of the stuff...

(If anyone is making Unistrut fittings let me know)
It is a 14" piece of stainless Unistrut leftover from a project at work. I'd be happy to cut and mail a piece for free for anybody who is going this path. Please have honest intentions of using it, I don't want be doing it just to sit on somebody's garage shelf. The height is only proven to work correctly with a 1"x4" at the base, group 31 batteries, and the factory hold down J bolt. On your own for any other combination.

Baradium

Do you know offhand if 4 group 31s would fit under the seat? I've been meaning to measure, but I'm almost afraid to mess with stuff when it's 40 or 50 below... so easy to break things. With the temps I deal with sometimes, you can never have too many CCA.

74M35A2

You can very easily fit four group 31's, you may even be able to do more than that. Your CCA will obviously double once you go from two to four batteries, hence you would reach 1175CCA x 2 = 2350CCA @ 24VDC (56,400 Watts of starting power!).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks