• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Easy Way To Take Weight Off Loaded M1082's Springs

gottaluvit

So I picked up some pallets of MV stuff and couldn't unload the stuff, as I cannot get up into my field to access the area to put the stuff. Just way to sloppy with all this rain. So where I parked the trailer there is a side slope and I noticed that was putting a lot of weight on the lower side. The upper side's springs were level but the lower side's spring pack was bowed. I lowered the tongue jack completely and blocked up the back bumper on the lower (right) side leaving no gap. Then I just jacked up the tongue jack until the arc in the springs was gone. Seemed to put a lot of the weight on the blocks and off the springs.

20170123_082941.jpg

Hope this helps anyone wanting to take the weight off their springs. Beats dragging out the 20 ton bottle jack. Why not use the jack that's already there?

gottaluvit

I would rather have them relaxed than under a constant load. It is loaded just under maximum load. Had it not been leaning, putting more weight on one side, and the load was shared I may not have been concerned. I have had too many vehicles with wasted springs, so decided to extend the life on such a nice trailer.

gottaluvit

It was already taken off the left side by the slope. The weight of the load is balanced (left and right) but that slope really showed a curve on the right side springs. If it were level, both would have been necessary. I actually wanted to shift some of it to the left side.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My understanding is that a static load won't harm springs, that springs are worn out by number of flexion cycles on them.

I'd be more concerned about putting a load on the rear bumper that isn't designed for it.

However, probably not a big deal either way. Mostly I think you're treating owner anxiety :)

gottaluvit

I had never heard that before about static load. Makes sense. Gotta agree on the anxiety part. It might still be of use to help someone else with OCD issues!

I had thought about that bumper, but looking at it closer and knowing it is meant to stop a rear impact by stopping a car from coming into the the deck and decapitating someone, I figured it could hold up. Heck this soggy ground will give way before that bumper.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe all springs will weaken under static load over a long period of time. We call it "taking a set". Many is the time that we would pull an engine out of storage and find that the valves with their springs held down by the cam were weaker than the ones that were closed. Replacement is a must or disaster is not long coming in the way of valve float and possibly failure due to dropped push rod or lost keepers. We find that if we remove the rocker shaft entirely or loosen the rocker shaft bolts so all valves are closed on engines in storage this is avoided. This also closes all cylinders so that no rust can form in them from moisture getting it through open valves.
We have found that broken leaf springs usually are the result of no load over rough roads, slapping the spring leaves and fatiguing them to breaking. Of course reason will have it that overloading and sitting for a long time as gottaluvit is talking about is not good practice! As with the engine valve springs, taking a set can occur.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the relevant info.

Mine came from firearm mags where a study was done as to whether leaving them full was better than emptying them. (no benefit).

Also, car springs tend to wear out much faster after the shocks wear out - reason being that many more oscillations come from each bump so you get more cycles.

Your valve spring information is also clearly relevant...

I always hate setting a loaded trailer down because things can happen .In this case with soft sloping ground blocking is good thinking .

rustystud

I believe all springs will weaken under static load over a long period of time. We call it "taking a set". Many is the time that we would pull an engine out of storage and find that the valves with their springs held down by the cam were weaker than the ones that were closed. Replacement is a must or disaster is not long coming in the way of valve float and possibly failure due to dropped push rod or lost keepers. We find that if we remove the rocker shaft entirely or loosen the rocker shaft bolts so all valves are closed on engines in storage this is avoided. This also closes all cylinders so that no rust can form in them from moisture getting it through open valves.
We have found that broken leaf springs usually are the result of no load over rough roads, slapping the spring leaves and fatiguing them to breaking. Of course reason will have it that overloading and sitting for a long time as gottaluvit is talking about is not good practice! As with the engine valve springs, taking a set can occur.
Yes springs will "take a set" if left to long loaded or even just setting there with the weight of the car or trailer. That is why they always say to put jackstands under the frame to get the wheels off the ground when the vehicle will be stored for a long period of time. The trick with the valve springs has been used since WWII to keep engines ready to go. After you "fog" the cylinders with a good spray lubricate closing the valves will keep all condensation out. Also bleeding the brakes will get out all water contamination and prevent your system from rusting up. The military has several manuals on "preserving" vehicles for long term storage. I don't remember where I put mine. I know it is around here somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks