• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Eaton Locker for Dana 60 Front Axle

captain-crank

A locked front diff is very difficult to turn in anything other than sand, mud or snow.

It is almost dangerous on a street driven truck where 4WD is used for bad road conditions.

I have an '84 K-30 plow truck with Detroit's front and rear and it's a love/hate relationship.

Maybe consider saving up for an air locker?

WARWAG

I would first choose an ARB airlocker for the front axle. Other than that I would put a limited slip in like the Track Lock unit. A locker up front is very difficult to turn in most off road conditions and sucks BIG TIME on the street. You will not like it. The ARBs are nice since you can engage and disengage any time. A limited slip is barely noticable except when its really needed and is activated. Good luck.

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: If you plan to drive any on road the Limited slip would be the better choice! and slow moving steering will be harder with the trac lock. yes a great posi but not in the front of a street truck. If you don't mind stiffer steering then will be a great locker! another better choice would be a trac lock for the front on something for street use.

5tonpuller

I put a posi unit in the front of my truck once. Corners REALLY SUCKED. Like not turning, going straight when you WANT to turn. That eveing after I got the no turn crap scared out of me, I changed it to a normal one. Want a posi? put it in the back.

prairie

Power Lok

I've got Power Lok's in the front of two different vehicles, and love them.:grin:
One in a CUCV M1008 Dana 60 and the other in a Ford F550 Dana Super 60.
It is a pretty aggressive limited slip, and you can feel it when the hubs are locked and the transfer case is in 2 wheel drive. When the hubs are unlocked you don't even know it is there.

idM1028

Just throw a selectable locker or limited slip in front (I believe there are selectable lockers that act like limited slips when not engaged. I know the new Dodge Power Wagons have something like this.) My 1028's hard enough to steer when not in 4wd, never mind a locker in front.

if your looking for an ultra tough selectable locker, without having to worry about problems with electrical/air compressor malfunctions, look into the cable-actuated Ox Locker... tuff stuff, thinking about one for the front of my M1010 soon...

captw

front axle

I have the LockRight locker in my Dana 60....performs very well off road, where 4X4 is intended to be used by these vehicles.....with the factory Detroit installed in the rear, some weight in the bed, and proper driving techniques, I drive my truck frequently here in Ontario, Canada in the winter on the road in about the worst on road conditions possible, all in two wheel drive, no problem....the NP 208 4X4 system is not for use on hard surface roads at anything approaching typical road speeds, even without a locker in the front...as far as off road, with the long wheelbase of the M1008, and correct modulation of the throttle, you will be able to steer off road.....W

bigjmcconnell

Like previously mentioned, I was going to say take a look at Ox lockers. I never had one though. I have a non-selectable locker in the front and rear of my Jeep and I have to run with one hub unlocked to steer half decent on a trail. A jeep is a much smaller shorter vehicle of course.

bigjmcconnell

Then your steerig is messed up if you have to wheel like that
Depends on your definition of messed up. Its stock Jeep CJ steering trying to turn 35" tires. The problem is not really the steering but that the jeep sometime pushes through a turn rather than the nice handling I was used to with only the rear locker.

For the record, I usually don't wheel like that unless I'm really in a tight area. (Edit: I may have overstated by saying "half decent" above)

TCUCV

Thanks for all the replies everyone . . . its kinda funny I should ask this question b/c the new Petersens off road mag just came out with a write up about all the different lockers available. Good info, I definitely want to be able to drive it on the road comfortably and still have a great off road toy.