• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ebay Mep Warning

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that gen was to be a 400 Hz unit, what would it power?

It will power any "resistive" load such as light bulbs and baseboard heaters like Steve mentioned and electric water heaters. While your electric clothes dryer has a resistive element in it the relay to send power the the heating element is considered an inductive load and will not work with the 400 Hz. As well as screwing up the timing circuit worked through the knob. I'm not sure about modern electric stoves, as I've never had to work on one so I don't know what's in them.

The 400 Hz generators will not power any regular "inductive" loads such as motors, and relays. The relays will burn up in pretty short order, and the motors will spin about 6 1/2 times faster than they are supposed to before they burn up. The whole premise of variable speed AC motors is changing the frequency supplied to the motor, and this is usually done to slow a motor down, not speed them up. The motor will burn itself up too, as it's not built to handle that kind of frequency.

m38inmaine

Received an answer from the seller today, he "thinks" it's 400Hz and says he doesn't understand why someone might be upset if they get a 400Hz unit. He will probably find out soon enough.

PeterD

Received an answer from the seller today, he "thinks" it's 400Hz and says he doesn't understand why someone might be upset if they get a 400Hz unit. He will probably find out soon enough.
:funny: It's like watching the coyote running towards the painted tunnel in the rock cliff face. You know he's going to hit hard! rofl

Nonotagain

Well, maybe the buyer will be local and not drive half a day. Better yet, drive half a day, haul it home just to determine the situation.

The whole eBay listing reeks of fraud.

Kohler Deere engine, yeah right!

I can tell you from experience that a 120 volt corded drill motor runs sweet on 400Hz electric.

The only reason that I would bid on a 400Hz set is if I needed a low hour engine, the skid or possibly the sheet metal.

The auction is up to over $1400,which is way high for an unknown hour generator with dubious history.

PeterD

The seller has updated the listing, added new pictures, and indeed it is a 400 Hz unit. I suspect he'll get a bunch of bid cancellations in the next few hours.

Update:

Seller emailed me and was less that polite, guess he thinks that people are jumping on him for no reason at all... Something about "eBay Police", as if I was!

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better yet, drive half a day, haul it home just to determine the situation.
Or better yet, get it home, hook it up to his house, and fry everything in it (except the baseboard heaters, lights, and water heater :wink:).

Carl_in_NH

I received a reply yesterday as well. I was prepared to give the seller the benefit of the doubt for just being ignorant about AC line frequency and its importance. Some folks don’t understand – and that’s OK. Once it’s pointed out, then a large corrective measure needs to be taken – including canceling the auction and relisting it because of this important omission. Only half a measure has been dealt – with an update of details pointing out it’s a 400 Hz unit, but not following through and canceling the auction.

I became curious, and looked at the bidding history – and it revealed something odd; all the bidders as of last evening had very low feedback, none greater than 20 transactions. Of the first 4 or 5 I looked at of the 8 people that had bid on the unit at the time, a few of them had from 50% to 100% (!) of their purchase activity with this seller alone. I don’t really want to point fingers here, but this just doesn’t pass the smell test.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Seller emailed me and was less that polite, guess he thinks that people are jumping on him for no reason at all... Something about "eBay Police", as if I was!
People like that are the lowest of the low!

I ran an item once (for the company I work for) and I got it way wrong (in terms of what it was and what it fit) and an ebay member emailed me and let me know, even sent me a link with more info and this allowed me to pull the auction and relist it correctly.

As opposed to it ending, a person buying it, then calling my boss and raising ****.

So I was thrilled that the "ebay police" were on the beat-it saved me from getting yelled at by the brass!

If someone is mad at you for pointing out an inaccuracy in their auction, it was intentional.

jas67

No feedback on it yet. There is so much wrong with that item! Where/how could he ever come up with Kohler Deere?
I think that the inclusion of the words Kohler and Deere were just typical keyword spam.

The idea with keyword spam is to get your including in search results for desired products, even though you are selling a not-so-desired product.

This kind of crap is on CL as well. I recently purchased a Honda EU2000i generator to use camping. I started by looking at used. I found more listings with the text "Like Honda EU2000i", "as good as Honda", etc, than listings for what I was actually looking for. Same thing when I was shopping for a Kubota tractor. You'd see listings for chinese-crap tractors with the text, "just like Kubota", etc.

PsycoBob

Some Military A/C units also use 400hz. Cheap combination for adding A/C to your shop, if you only need AC for short periods, or have access to off-road diesel.