• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ebay starters...bad idea?

Dabba

got my starter gummed up in muddy water and now all i get is a click. I see ebay has starters for about 130 bucks, they any good? Or should i just get mine rebuilt? or is there another source?

hobie237

Since ebay neither makes nor sells anything, it would be useful for you to post a link to what starter or starters you are considering, or at least give us more information as to the specs. Some of the stuff on ebay is good stuff, other stuff on ebay is China junk crap. This is, of course, assuming that your starter is bad, it would be a good idea to clean it out and make sure it actually needs to be replaced before you replace it. It may also be the starter relay, I thought my starter was gone after a day off roading, turns out it was unrelated, the starter relay just decided to crap out that day.

Dabba

well i didnt feel like digging aroudn back there in the cold, but just in case, how about these starters.. they look cheap but one offers a 1 year warrenty. And the used one looks interesting because it claims its watertight, but would it fit? Let me know..

eBay Motors: New Starter Military Equipment CUCV 6.2 Diesel 24 Volt (item 150328978794 end time Mar-06-09 15:03:22 PST)

eBay Motors: 24v starter, hmmwv, cucv, diesel 6.5, 6.5l, 6.2l, 6.2 (item 220370863388 end time Mar-08-09 14:48:49 PDT)

eBay Motors: Chevy GMC Truck Starter 6.2 Blazer Military 24 Vlt CUCV (item 370156259700 end time Mar-09-09 17:25:44 PDT)

pics in order of item posted

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the ebay auctions end, the link goes dead. Do not post ebay item links. Copy and post the pictures. Dead links, wont help anyone, in the future.

Dabba

pictures dont really mean all that much, the information helps too, but in the interest of future searches, ill post pics for each. any opinions on those starters doghead?

poppop

If they sell cheap then you could have it fixed at a starter shop. My starter guy told me he could build me a starter out of a large truck starter. The bolt patterns and nose deminsions are fairly standardized. Unfortunately in todays world freight is a big factor in cheap.

hobie237

well i didnt feel like digging aroudn back there in the cold, but just in case, how about these starters.. they look cheap but one offers a 1 year warrenty. And the used one looks interesting because it claims its watertight, but would it fit? Let me know..

eBay Motors: New Starter Military Equipment CUCV 6.2 Diesel 24 Volt (item 150328978794 end time Mar-06-09 15:03:22 PST)

eBay Motors: 24v starter, hmmwv, cucv, diesel 6.5, 6.5l, 6.2l, 6.2 (item 220370863388 end time Mar-08-09 14:48:49 PDT)

eBay Motors: Chevy GMC Truck Starter 6.2 Blazer Military 24 Vlt CUCV (item 370156259700 end time Mar-09-09 17:25:44 PDT)

The used one is the "known" one, the problem is that it's tough to know what condition it's in, and how long it'd last. The other two don't mention a brand or anything anywhere that I could find, which makes me suspect that they're generic Chinese items. That said, they may prove to be of excellent quality and have excellent longevity, or they may crap out the second time you use them. Of course it is possible to get your starter rebuilt, at the expense of downtime on the truck, so the used direct replacement one would be a good spare so you could get the one off the truck rebuilt with minimal downtime.

I always take the warranties of ebay sellers selling no-name junk with a grain of salt or two, kind of like the crap sold on tv infomercials with the "if you're not satisfied, we'll give you your money back!" guarantees, in that you're likely to have to jump through hoops to get the replacement, and most likely you'll be out the shipping for the original item, plus the shipping to send it back, plus the shipping for the replacement, if they don't find a way to worm out of your claim and deny it.

hobie237

Just to clarify, when I say things like "China junk" or "Chinese generics" or whatever, I'm not so much referring to the actual country of origin, which may be China, Japan, Mexico, Germany, or even the US, I just mean "cheaply made no-name stuff possibly of dubious quality." China just tends to be a convenient way to say it, since much of the stuff comes from there, and people understand it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any experience with the replacement starters, sorry.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
There was actually a post about these very starters, actually two posts, within the past few months. The name of the company is Brand New or something funny like that. You should do a search on CUCV starters.

bryab123

i bought one of those $130 starters from ebay and 2 weeks later its bad again :evil:. im having a very hard time i sent it back to them and they recieved it 2/23/09 and havent heard anything yet. wish i would have bought it from a more reputable source or did a 12 volt swap now.:cry:

Dabba

heh, seems hit or miss, i guess im gonna try to clean it out myself then call the starter shop and see what they want to rebuild it, im sure it wont be muchmore than one of those cheapos, and i wont need to pay shipping...