• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECO Hubs Who needs 3:07 gears?

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have removed the bed from my m1083a0 (3116 engine, 3.07 gears), added approximately 5 feet of length to both frame and subframe and installed a Winnebago 1700BH on top using a spring mount. I had to weigh it to get it registered in Texas. It weighs 22200 lbs and I have a CAT scale receipt to prove it. According to Winnebago to trailer is 3200 lbs. Since we removed the triangular section of the frame in front of the trailer and the axle, the habitat probably weighs less that 3000 lbs now. I am guessing that the bed weighs about as much as the Winnebago.
I was thinking a good way to mount something like a travel trailer without its Wheels as the habitat on the back of the frame, would be to hard mount the hitch area to the forward most section of the truck frame, and bolt the axles or the leaf springs, whatever the trailer has for suspension to the frame of the truck. Would be a super easy way to do it. Then in the future if you wanted to turn it back into a trailer, you unbolt it, unmount it, and put the wheels back on!

Ronmar

that other adjustment on the back may be a selector switch to set a range, then the cal refines it… this looks like something that would be done on a bench with an electronic pulse generator set to mimmic the pulse output from the transmission at a given speed and adjust the instrument to that…

I was thinking a good way to mount something like a travel trailer without its Wheels as the habitat on the back of the frame, would be to hard mount the hitch area to the forward most section of the truck frame, and bolt the axles or the leaf springs, whatever the trailer has for suspension to the frame of the truck. Would be a super easy way to do it. Then in the future if you wanted to turn it back into a trailer, you unbolt it, unmount it, and put the wheels back on!
You have to watch the height. I had to remove the rooftop AC to stay 12.5 feet tall. And the Winnebago is one of the smaller travel tailers as far as height is concerned. We used good ol' spring mount, similar to how tanks are mounted onto tanker trucks. I am very happy with how it works so far.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know, on the later model trucks where the odometer is digital, if the mileage info is stored in the gauge or in the ECM/TCM? Thanks

Third From Texas

Does anyone know, on the later model trucks where the odometer is digital, if the mileage info is stored in the gauge or in the ECM/TCM? Thanks
Good question.

I *think* it's the ECM. Like all the diagnostic stuff, mileage can be checked from the diag port (and read from the ECM). But honestly, I don't know.

I bet @GeneralDisorder or @Ronmar can confirm.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question.

I *think* it's the ECM. Like all the diagnostic stuff, mileage can be checked from the diag port (and read from the ECM). But honestly, I don't know.

I bet @GeneralDisorder or @Ronmar can confirm.
Thanks. I’m looking at a 2008 M1078, wish it was a 1079 but those seem rare as hens teeth, and trying to determine if the 2400 miles on the odometer is correct. The seller was forthright in telling me the speedometer was missing when he got the truck, so it has a new one installed. The seller has the CAT diagnostic tool and said he would check the ECM, but I’ve been told the ECM only tracks the engine hours, which could still verify if the reading is likely correct or not. Interestingly, the owner of the truck lives in the Netherlands and won’t be back over here until October, so it will be a while before I’m actually able to buy the truck. The truck is on the east coast and I’m on the opposite, so definitely installing Eco Hubs before the drive home. I’m guessing I’ll still be somewhat speed limited by the tire balance, or lack there of. Splitting the rims apart to put in balance beads before heading home seems like a lot of work. I’m a complete newbie here and to these trucks, relatively speaking so not sure if the beads could be put in through the stud the CTIS hose connects to. Even if that was possible, that would put the beads inside the bead lock and I’m not sure if they would be able to migrate out into the tire.

Now to figure out what I need to do to be allowed to send PM’s.

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
The speedometer recalibrate is done thru the cat engine ecu. I would bet mileage is in there somewhere. To start PM
contact patracy he can start a conversation with whoever you want.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The speedometer recalibrate is done thru the cat engine ecu. I would bet mileage is in there somewhere. To start PM
contact patracy he can start a conversation with whoever you want.
Thanks. Read through the rules and I just need 10 post to be able to PM, so I won’t bother him. I have enough stuff to figure out that I’ll have enough posts relatively soon. I assume there are threads that will provide info on the purchase and use of the scan tool, so I’ll be looking for those next. I plan to fly out to look at the truck, so need to do that and confirm I want the truck, then will get the hubs ordered.

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Thanks. I’m looking at a 2008 M1078, wish it was a 1079 but those seem rare as hens teeth, and trying to determine if the 2400 miles on the odometer is correct. The seller was forthright in telling me the speedometer was missing when he got the truck, so it has a new one installed. The seller has the CAT diagnostic tool and said he would check the ECM, but I’ve been told the ECM only tracks the engine hours, which could still verify if the reading is likely correct or not. Interestingly, the owner of the truck lives in the Netherlands and won’t be back over here until October, so it will be a while before I’m actually able to buy the truck. The truck is on the east coast and I’m on the opposite, so definitely installing Eco Hubs before the drive home. I’m guessing I’ll still be somewhat speed limited by the tire balance, or lack there of. Splitting the rims apart to put in balance beads before heading home seems like a lot of work. I’m a complete newbie here and to these trucks, relatively speaking so not sure if the beads could be put in through the stud the CTIS hose connects to. Even if that was possible, that would put the beads inside the bead lock and I’m not sure if they would be able to migrate out into the tire.

Not being rude, but I'd be more worried about having the truck where you lived legally before the odometer. CA needs DPF on all diesel highway vehicles now, with only a few exceptions. Miles really isn't relevant anyways. You buying it and driving it across the country is more miles than it's probably seen in it's whole life honestly, or close to it. Just me as an observer. Now tell me to shut up!

Ronmar

On the A0, the speedometer is driven by a pulse signal(pulse per mile/pulse per shaft revolution) signal from the transmission That is derived from a sensor in the transfer case counting the gear teeth on the 26 tooth main output gear. I have not been able to determine if this signal is conditioned by the transmission or not, but have seen nothing in the transmission software that indicates this. Pretty sure the only control to calibrate the speedometer will be the dip switches on the speedometer itself.

On the early A1, with standalone gauges, the speedometer again has a single input wire(pulse per mile signaling?), but now it comes from the Engine ECU. On these trucks it may be possible to alter the output from the ECU thru cat programming, or again, via dip switches on the speedometer.

On the A1/A1R with the integrated bussed gauges(see below pic), that data arrives on the vehicle data buses to the gauge MMDC module which drives all the gauges via its own gauge data bus.. the only way to alter these that I can see will be thru ECU programming.

IMG_3717.jpeg

coachgeo

PM becomes available after you have X number of post in X time frame (to fast your a spammer) . It is a common bulletin board built in spam protection thing. Can't post pics either. Think it is only 5 conversation post.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A1 and A1R (3126b and C7) both calibrate speedo readout through the ECM. That goes for the speed input to the CTIS as well. I can program both as well as change all the CTIS settings to anything desired.

Mileage is stored in the ECM on both the 3126b and the C7 and I can program both of those but on the A1R the digital mileage displayed on the speedo is from the MMDC (which I haven't looked into changing).

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A1 and A1R (3126b and C7) both calibrate speedo readout through the ECM. That goes for the speed input to the CTIS as well. I can program both as well as change all the CTIS settings to anything desired.

Mileage is stored in the ECM on both the 3126b and the C7 and I can program both of those but on the A1R the digital mileage displayed on the speedo is from the MMDC (which I haven't looked into changing).
I've seen some info on how to program the CTIS on YouTube and that equipment and software seems fairly easy to source. For the CAT ECM reprogramming, can that be done without having a subscription? Programming cables available?

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not being rude, but I'd be more worried about having the truck where you lived legally before the odometer. CA needs DPF on all diesel highway vehicles now, with only a few exceptions. Miles really isn't relevant anyways. You buying it and driving it across the country is more miles than it's probably seen in it's whole life honestly, or close to it. Just me as an observer. Now tell me to shut up!
Truck will be registered in South Dakota for now. I’m currently looking to buy a home in a state that I can register the truck in easily so reg will be moved once I find the right property. And for what it’s worth, you actually still can register an LMTV/FMTV in CA. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks