• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECO Hubs Who needs 3:07 gears?

Ned81

Has anyone installed these on a 3116 engine?
Any real word experience?
Taking off on a hill is already pretty slow even with an empty truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronmar

I think you are going to find the performance about the same unless you are VERY VERY heavy…

My calculated numbers for my 3116 truck at a target weight of 20,000LB, I should be able to start out on 41.3 degrees of slope in 1st and 22.5 degrees in 2nd. IF I don’t run out of traction first... beyond that it will probably perform about the same, it will just do everything 1 gear lower…

Last edited:

Mk23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have about 150-170 miles now. Not very much, but I am very happy with the mod. Now that the transmission has taken a little time to learn, you come up to a 55mph hill, keep holding the accelerator down, and truck will down-shift. Sometimes even two quick sequential down-shifts, and you keep cruising up the hill. I have not done any steep grade climbs yet, like on a pass, but I keep driving it, so we'll see.

Mk23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would anyone have info on how to reset the Dip switches on the back of the Speedo in a A0 truck to get correct reading again? Right now, it shows exactly half the actual GPS verified speed, which of course makes sense.

Not that I can't quickly double the speed read in my head, but still, it would be nice to get the correct speedo reading again.

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
Greetings,

Who bought a set with a 3116 and 6x6 ? Didn't see anyone post with this set up. I might have missed it.

Thanks

PS.......are you taking request for custom logos on the end caps .... :unsure:
I have several sets going to customers with that combination. Keep watching I’m sure they will post the results.
custom end caps , no not at this time. :)

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
Question and it may have already been coverd if you have to be towed does this mean we have to pull all the drive shafts now or is there something i missed ?
Or can the hub be designed to let the axle still come thru the hub and have a plug to hold oil inside ?
Hi Chucky. Yes the hub is designed to allow the axle to be removed just like before. Remove 4 Allen’s in the aluminium cap remove cap,
the axle will pull thru.

Recce01

Greetings,

Who bought a set with a 3116 and 6x6 ? Didn't see anyone post with this set up. I might have missed it.

Thanks

PS.......are you taking request for custom logos on the end caps .... :unsure:
I have just purchased the set for our truck. We still have the 3.90 gears, 3116, and are going to be quite heavy. I will not be able to give you any information until late July when we do the install. Here is our truck..... Screenshot_20230616_064520_Instagram.jpg

Ned81

I think you are going to find the performance about the same unless you are VERY VERY heavy…

My calculated numbers for my 3116 truck at a target weight of 20,000LB, I should be able to start out on 41.3 degrees of slope in 1st and 22.5 degrees in 2nd. IF I don’t run out of traction first... beyond that it will probably perform about the same, it will just do everything 1 gear lower…
Once my habitat is done I’m expecting to be around 26,000. I plan to use my truck in sand on the beach as well as mountains.
Do you think my 3116 will be ok?
I was on the fence with re-gearing and this seems like an even bigger step in ratio

Recce01

Once my habitat is done I’m expecting to be around 26,000. I plan to use my truck in sand on the beach as well as mountains.
Do you think my 3116 will be ok?
I was on the fence with re-gearing and this seems like an even bigger step in ratio

We are in the exact same boat, I ordered a set. Fingers crossed! 🤞 I will report, though it will be a while before we are driving on a beach again 😬

Ronmar

Even at 26000# the 3116 should still be able to pull that up a ~30 deg slope. Got a smartphone or ipad? Use the measure app and go measure the angle of some slopes. 30deg is pretty steep… It would be better if you weighed less… I am building from the frame up, to keep weight, cg and height down. Mine is probably just under 14K now and my target is under 20K and 11’-6”… with the hubs it should be capable of ~41.5deg… The beauty of this mod, is that it is entirely reversible, even in the field. Ziptie the old gearset together in the proper order, put them into their cover to hold everything together and put the whole thing in a bag so they stay coated with oil and clean, marked for the location it was removed from. That and a couple quarts of gear oil and you have them back in place. If they don’t work out, you can always sell them…

Last edited:

Recce01

Even at 26000# the 3116 should still be able to pull that up a ~30 deg slope. Got a smartphone or ipad? Use the measure app and go measure the angle of some slopes. 30deg is pretty steep… It would be better if you weighed less… I am building from the frame up, to keep weight, cg and height down. Mine is probably just under 14K now and my target is under 20K and 11’-6”… with the hubs it should be capable of ~41.5deg… The beauty of this mod, is that it is entirely reversible, even in the field. Ziptie the old gearset together in the proper order, put them into their cover to hold everything together and put the whole thing in a bag so they stay coated with oil and clean, marked for the location it was removed from. That and a couple quarts of gear oil and you have them back in place. If they don’t work out, you can always sell them…
I can not get that low in weight, we have an M1083 6x6. Even with a 20' composite box, proper subframe, we start at 22k before interior of box is built out.

Ronmar

I can not get that low in weight, we have an M1083 6x6. Even with a 20' composite box, proper subframe, we start at 22k before interior of box is built out.
But you are @290HP? I didnt catch that. My numbers above are for the 225hp 3116. If so you have nearly 100ft/lb more engine torque(715?). That equates to ~2000 more pounds of thrust 15.3K… @26K, that should be good for 36 degrees of slope…

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the best video. He doesn't clean the threads in the hub and clearly a bunch of them needed it. Doesn't torque anything (not that this is absolutely necessary for those with enough experience), and doesn't have the wheel off the ground to check the bearing pre-load before slapping on the locking collars.

I didn't think this actually needed a video since it's really basic stuff - but that video clearly shows there's some nuance that's being missed by the amateur community among the ranks of FMTV owners.

All that said - it's probably not any worse than anything PVT Snuffy did to your truck before you bought it. So there's that I guess.

Mk23

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All that said - it's probably not any worse than anything PVT Snuffy did to your truck before you bought it. So there's that I guess.
I made sure all my threads and surface were immaculate. I used torque wrench, though I am anal about that. That's a rear wheel right? I didn't see the snap ring being trimmed or put back on the shaft.

Last edited:

ramdough

Not the best video. He doesn't clean the threads in the hub and clearly a bunch of them needed it. Doesn't torque anything (not that this is absolutely necessary for those with enough experience), and doesn't have the wheel off the ground to check the bearing pre-load before slapping on the locking collars.

I didn't think this actually needed a video since it's really basic stuff - but that video clearly shows there's some nuance that's being missed by the amateur community among the ranks of FMTV owners.

We need someone to step up that can show all of the details and explain them well.

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
Ok I will throw this out to see if anyone is interested. If we have a member that’s close to Angola Indiana that would like to purchase a set of Eco Hubs. I will do the labor of installing a set and video the procedure. The truck would need to be in running condition
and dropped off to allow me time to get it done. Preferably a 4x4. Only one set. :) Pm if you have interest……

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks