• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECO Hubs Who needs 3:07 gears?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just get it from CAT. Unfortunately there's no way to know which design the third party companies decided to copy and things like the pressure relief valve and spring must be absolutely precisely made. I've seen aftermarket oil pumps for other engines that had sticky pressure relief plungers and would do naughty things like not produce any pressure till you revved the engine after startup, etc.

Last edited:

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After driving around for the day yesterday I am certain I’ll be keeping my exhaust brake setup as it is, with the exception of changing the target gear to 5th most likely.

For those of you that like how the brake works now, in the new configuration you really aren’t losing that, it just works a little differently. You use your accelerator food to modulate the exhaust brake on and off and I find that much easier and more comfortable than using the brake. You can also use the brake but in that mode the exhaust stays on until you lightly depress the accelerator. Really nice to have the braking effect from the exhaust brake without also being on the service brake.

Having the exhaust brake automatically modulate to maintain your set cruise speed is awesome and the icing on the cake.

If you have cruise control installed, I recommend giving this a try. If you have the software and interface to make these changes yourself, it’s a 5 minute deal. If you don’t like it, switch it back.

If anyone knows of a good HD Allison tech in Northern California please let me know.

coachgeo

The thread has 26 pages of ECO hub information at this point. If it drifts a bit it's pretty much irrelevant as the original discussion has already covered most aspects of note.
Agree- though suspect he was just reporting experience with how it aided driving with his Eco Hub swap- not really expecting it to get much responses... but it did. Is what it is.

MODERATOR/ADMIN. can you do your magic and split out various post on this braking topic, and Oil Pump Topic to their own thread . @GCecchetto and @GeneralDisorder can then change the thread title you make (I think) to anything they want for the newly created thread(s). Both could just put a post in this thread something like.... "thoughts/done dids on adjusting pack brake to match better with EcoHub driving see url xyz" and GD- "Oil pump thoughts and changes 3126 so your Echo Hub(ed) truck is happy for years"??

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably would get more visibility that way. The oil pump discussion applies to all trucks - even more so to the factory hub reduction trucks being they will wear out the flawed pump designs faster.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After driving around for the day yesterday I am certain I’ll be keeping my exhaust brake setup as it is, with the exception of changing the target gear to 5th most likely.

If anyone knows of a good HD Allison tech in Northern California please let me know.
I don't think you'll get any significant braking effect in 5th or 6th gear unless you are going REALLY fast. And globally limiting it to 5th will mean you don't get any braking effect at medium speeds where it was only in 5th starting downhill. I was at the grocery store last night and on the way home is a very steep descent of about 1/2 a mile at 30 MPH posted speed limit. The exhaust brake and 3rd gear was all that was preventing me from SMOKING the brakes down that hill. Limiting the truck to 5th gear would have meant heavy application of the service brakes - I've done that descent before with the exhaust brake turned off and I can smell the brakes when I get to the bottom.

I also found a post on an RV forum where someone had a shop program exactly what you describe and this was the result:

"they reprogramed it to what they thought was good/correct and now I have very little Compression Braking - causing me to have to use the Brakes continuously in the Mountains - not they way I normally drive."

I'm not sure if you can override target gear with the keypad. I could program that and try it I guess. Still - not something I want to screw with manually when the system does it automatically and performs fine IMHO.

Last edited:

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you'll get any significant braking effect in 5th or 6th gear unless you are going REALLY fast. And globally limiting it to 5th will mean you don't get any braking effect at medium speeds where it was only in 5th starting downhill. I was at the grocery store last night and on the way home is a very steep descent of about 1/2 a mile at 30 MPH posted speed limit. The exhaust brake and 3rd gear was all that was preventing me from SMOKING the brakes down that hill. Limiting the truck to 5th gear would have meant heavy application of the service brakes - I've done that descent before with the exhaust brake turned off and I can smell the brakes when I get to the bottom.

I also found a post on an RV forum where someone had a shop program exactly what you describe and this was the result:

I'm not sure if you can override target gear with the keypad. I could program that and try it I guess. Still - not something I want to screw with manually when the system does it automatically and performs fine IMHO.
Let’s just agree to disagree and leave it that. I’m already doing this and the exhaust brake in the 5th and 6th works perfectly in combination with the cruise control and very affectingly controls your speed on down grades without need to apply the service brakes. With the current setup, not only do you not get the integration with the cruise, the exhaust brake is completely worthless on the highway unless you want to go 30mph with your flashers on in slow lane with traffic flying past you.

You absolutely can downshift overriding a higher target gear, so that just isn’t an issue. With this setup and a higher target gear set, you get the advantage of the exhaust brake over much broader driving conditions.

I know what you are talking about with steep downgrades and smoking brakes. Where i live every route from my house is down twisty 4 plus mile long steep grades. On the very twisty and slow roads, the exhaust brake as stock configured is fine. On the routes that are larger roads where you can carry more speed, the exhaust brake is a pain in the rear, and as I said, it’s much easier to modulate the brake, especially if you are trying to prevent it from slamming down into third, with the accelerator pedal.

Anyone with questions about what I’ve done just PM me. Thanks

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not argueing with the CC integration. I setup the CAT ECM to integrate the cruise and exhaust brake when I enable cruise control as well. That works as designed and as programmed by CAT. I have no issue with that.

I get what you are complaining about - higher speed when the cruise control enables the exhaust brake and forces a downshift. I just don't see globally limiting the target gear to be the correct answer. Lowering the RPM limit for a downshift might be a better choice - requiring the transmission to slow down before grabbing a lower gear. This would allow much finer control than jumping entire gears. I will have to look at Allison DOC and see what is available.

Skyhawk13205

I know this is the Eco Hubs thread, but since we had some lengthy discussion here about my feelings that an exhaust brake was critical for mountain driving when you have Eco Hubs installed I thought I would post a follow up. So, back to the exhaust brake conversation. Since I have now installed my new PacBrake, Switch, solenoid, and associated air lines, I've now gotten focused on changing the way the exhaust brake functions to make it something that is useful in a truck that is now capable of cruising 75mph on the highway.

There was a previous post that identified that there is a "target gear" setting in the TCM. I have the Allison software, but can't use it as it needs to be activated. Way too expensive to buy, $1100 and then $590 each year to keep it active. So I'll have to find a commercial Allison tech here locally to change the target gear. Where this gets exciting though is that there is even more useful changes that can be made in the ECM with CAT ET, which I also have. These improvements require that you also have the ECM setup for cruise control. Here's what I (I means my daughter who is a computer genius:) have done and it makes the exhaust brake function exactly how I want it to and essentially the same as the exhaust brake in my 2014 Ram.

In CAT ET you go into the cruise control menu and set the cruise control to "Latched". There is also a setting called something like "auto retard threshold" The lowest value this can be set to is 3 mph. We had to shut the truck down and restart for all of the changes to take a affect. Now with these changes you have three different exhaust brake modes based on the status of the cruise control.

Exhaust switch on/cruise control switch off - in this mode the exhaust brake engages when you lift your foot off of the accelerator pedal. The downshift to the target gear happens in this mode.

Exhaust switch on/cruise control switch on but cruise not set - in this mode the exhaust brake engages when you press the service brake and stays latch on whether you are on the brakes or not until you depress the accelerator pedal. The downshift to the target gear happens in this mode.

Exhaust brake switch on/cruise control on and set - in this mode with the cruise set when you are coasting with your foot off of the accelerator pedal, the ECM automatically modulates the exhaust brake to maintain your set speed. When your speed reaches the threshold value you set over the set cruise speed the exhaust brakes engages and stays latched until your speed is back withing the threshold range you set. In my case the threshold is set at the minimum 3 mph value. In this mode, the trans does not downshift to the target gear.

Hope you find this info useful. For me this is a MASSIVE improvement in the exhaust brake function and will be even better once I have the target gear changed.
thanks for the info, I installed my cruise control and wired in the service brake discrete to the ECM, I was noticing that the pacbrake would not work while cruise control switch is on but speed is not set. I will have to go in and find those setting to change it.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not argueing with the CC integration. I setup the CAT ECM to integrate the cruise and exhaust brake when I enable cruise control as well. That works as designed and as programmed by CAT. I have no issue with that.

I get what you are complaining about - higher speed when the cruise control enables the exhaust brake and forces a downshift. I just don't see globally limiting the target gear to be the correct answer. Lowering the RPM limit for a downshift might be a better choice - requiring the transmission to slow down before grabbing a lower gear. This would allow much finer control than jumping entire gears. I will have to look at Allison DOC and see what is available.
With the cruise set, the exhaust brake does not force a down shift, it ignores the target gear. If it can’t maintain the cruise set speed it will down shift but it’s way mellower and typically only one gear is all that’s required at highway speeds.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you have your cruise set to “latched” in the ECM, your exhaust brake has to function the way mine is. There is no option to have the cruise interconnected with the exhaust brake and have the exhaust brake function as set up by the mfg.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some reference...I think I go the Cat software correctly set, any comments?

20231226_141417.jpg

For the Allison side of things, I haven't had a chance to really look into it, and I've never tried to change the parameters before. I took screenshots of the "user configurable" area (although I couldn't find out how to actually change anything (or see what the options were to change to).
20231226_140405.jpg
20231226_140416.jpg20231226_140418.jpg20231226_140432.jpg20231226_140459.jpg20231226_140609.jpg20231226_140613.jpg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I meant how the engine manufacturer (CAT) intended for the cruise control / exhaust brake to function based on the programming options. Obviously the truck manufacturer never intended any of these systems to integrate.

The cruise control is nice for longer jaunts where you can get out on the open road - and at first when you first install you use it all the time because of the novelty. But I don't find I reach for it very often - my daily commute is only about 10 miles each way and there's not really any opportunity to use it. The last time I used it was when performing the mileage tests on the ECO hubs. So my recollection of exactly what gears it's in may be foggy and honestly till this conversions I never really paid attention to exactly which gears the Allison was in other than noting how fast I had to be traveling to get into 7th gear now with the ECO hubs. I don't really hyper fixate on what gear I'm in - I drive mostly by feel and sounds and smells. :)

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well have heard of "seat of the pants" (feel) driving... the "nose knows" method ... that one is new to me LOL :driver:

(not really.... am exactly the same myself too)
Well - I can definitely smell brakes being worked hard or dragging, clutches being slipped, belts dragging over seized pulleys, and often coolant and oil leaks as well. Sometimes before I can see evidence on the ground. Hot grease and fluids being flung onto the exhaust from driveshafts makes a real nice bouquet also. I'm sure you have experienced one or more of these. Sometimes the first sign of trouble is a suspicious smell. :poop:

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some reference...I think I go the Cat software correctly set, any comments?

View attachment 913508

For the Allison side of things, I haven't had a chance to really look into it, and I've never tried to change the parameters before. I took screenshots of the "user configurable" area (although I couldn't find out how to actually change anything (or see what the options were to change to).
View attachment 913509
View attachment 913510View attachment 913515View attachment 913511View attachment 913512View attachment 913513View attachment 913514
Only comments I have are that you have the “soft” cruise set to yes, I don’t like that setting, it expands the over/under speed tolerance before the ECM adjusts the speed. I find the tolerance pretty sloppy even without that on. The other comment would be that I played with the auto retarder setting and prefer it set to 3 mph, which is apparently the minimum. Even set at 3mph it seems it allows more before it engages the exhaust brake.

You’re a step ahead of me in the Allison software. I can’t even get mine working. I haven’t snooped through those photos yet but will.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only comments I have are that you have the “soft” cruise set to yes, I don’t like that setting, it expands the over/under speed tolerance before the ECM adjusts the speed. I find the tolerance pretty sloppy even without that on. The other comment would be that I played with the auto retarder setting and prefer it set to 3 mph, which is apparently the minimum. Even set at 3mph it seems it allows more before it engages the exhaust brake.

You’re a step ahead of me in the Allison software. I can’t even get mine working. I haven’t snooped through those photos yet but will.
So I actually tried 3mph, it wouldn't allow it (humorously giving an error saying 0-10 was the acceptable range). 5 was the lowest it would take, 4 was a no go.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I actually tried 3mph, it wouldn't allow it (humorously giving an error saying 0-10 was the acceptable range). 5 was the lowest it would take, 4 was a no go.
Some versions of CAT ET will give that complaint but still make the change anyway. Try changing it, acknowledge the error, and then switch away from the settings page and back again. I've run into that a time or two. You switch off the page and back again and the setting was programmed in spite of the error it gave you.

Ronmar

Well - I can definitely smell brakes being worked hard or dragging, clutches being slipped, belts dragging over seized pulleys, and often coolant and oil leaks as well. Sometimes before I can see evidence on the ground. Hot grease and fluids being flung onto the exhaust from driveshafts makes a real nice bouquet also. I'm sure you have experienced one or more of these. Sometimes the first sign of trouble is a suspicious smell. :poop:
Last LORAN station I was at, I used to walk into the transmitter room with my techs, and say OK, go find me the bad circuit breaker. I could smell the slightest wiff of the bakelite plastic housings getting hot a long time before they finally cooked off.. They would search all the panels with an IR gun to find it so we could switch off of it and replace it:) The nose knows…

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last LORAN station I was at, I used to walk into the transmitter room with my techs, and say OK, go find me the bad circuit breaker. I could smell the slightest wiff of the bakelite plastic housings getting hot a long time before they finally cooked off.. They would search all the panels with an IR gun to find it so we could switch off of it and replace it:) The nose knows…
Ah yes - I missed the smell of ozone and burning insulation! Such an obvious example. Some of the "enthusiast" vehicles I have occasion to work on often have an "interesting" take on wire management, routing, and shall we say..... "best practices and standards" o_O