• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EFI in-tank pump on OE tank?

albersondh

Anybody swap in a EFI gasser? Did you run the OE tank and find a in-tank sender with pump that would work in-tank? Or just plumb off of what is there and do an inline pump? I would prefer to go intank with the pump if I can. Can I just use a later model tank, sender/pump, and toss that onto my OE tank?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think in 87 the silverado was available with throttle body fuel injection. Maybe the sending unit/fuel pump from that application would work.

albersondh

Looking at a bunch of tank pn# x-ref's I think yes. 85 C30 tank is common with some 87-90 TBI trucks that are in-tank pump/sender assy. Thanks for the nudge. These should work great with a Walbro 400lph.

I know I have at some point run across a great thread where someone found the largest OE tank possible that would fit as a direct replacment to the 20-gal tank. I think there was an attempt to fit a huge 40-gal suburban tank? I have spent a bunch of time trying to re-find this thread but Im failing.

Anyone know what larger capacity tank/s will fit as a direct, or close to direct swap for the OE 20-gal tank? What year/model is it from? Im in for a new poly tank and going to need as much capacity as I can get. Thanks.

albersondh

20G OE tank 8' box = 54" long, 34G 1988-1996 8' box = 61" long. Notes from MTS indicate the 34gal tank does not fit 1-ton.... Not sure if this is due to physical size constraints, or the different neck location, Im guessing neck location. I can cut out the filler door, cut a new hole, and adjust the position of the OE filler. If thats all it will take to make a 34G tank work in lieu of the OE 20G..... Kill two birds here, get a tank that will take a in-tank pump/sender, and add 14G of fuel capacity while Im there....

34G 1988-1996 8' box = 61" long

20G OE tank 8" box = 54" long

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The suburban tanks fit the M1009s. Not sure if you could retrofit into a M1008.

cameron8757

I have a suburban tank from a 91 that i am going to put in my 1009 when i get some time. Was thinking about plumbing it to use the electric pump or the mechanical.

albersondh

The 54" tank is the longest that will fit in a 1028 without.:

1. Relocate the tank.
2. Relocate the spring shackle.

The rear of the tank is almost against the forward/rear shackle, a longer tank wont fit.