• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

eHMMVW

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An interesting idea, and I personally am curious to see this installed in a CUCV.

A couple years back, GP sold a prototype HMMWV that was all electric. I remember reading about it from the person that bought it, but don't remember if it was on here or facebook.

ogsched

I’m sorry but I don’t get anything about this thread.

Too expensive. Not realistic. Waste of time. Still needs 30k battery pack after installing a 30k motor.

To each their own I guess.
Tobash - boy, you are being awfully close minded about the possibilities here. Let me offer some thoughts on why this might be an interesting project:
1) noise reduction - as an EV, it might be possible to take the old girl out for a spin without waking up the neighbors, could sneak up on game you are hunting (instead of scaring them off miles away) all while having a conversation with your grandson without having to yell
2) torque - there is no comparison between the torque produced by an electric induction motor and a diesel - if you haven’t driven a Tesla or other EV it is worth it just to get a sense for this
3) relatively easy? - given the original 6.2L engine is the same one used in the K5 chevy blazer, and the information from GM on their EV kit suggests it was designed to “easily” retrofit K5 engines, it appears the swap could be done without undue technical challenges and also maintain most of the original look and feel of the M998
4) too expensive? - we don’t know the cost yet for the kit, and given it is the same components from the existing Chevy Bolt (where the fully loaded top of the line vehicle costs $38k) GM may decide to price the kit modestly to promote adoption and go for volume. Plus EVs are a favorite boondoggle of the new administration in DC so maybe we get massive subsidies to buy green technologies (like there was in the 2009-2016 timeframe); call me crazy but I think it is possible this kit may cost <$10k net of any subsidies
5) coolness factor - how cool would it be to have a M998 that looked OEM that was actually an EV?
6) waste of time? - don’t know about you, but I’m always in the market for good projects - otherwise the wife starts nagging about me doing chores! Or worse, I turn on the television and get depressed with all the nonsense going on in the world...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tobash - boy, you are being awfully close minded about the possibilities here. Let me offer some thoughts on why this might be an interesting project:
1) noise reduction - as an EV, it might be possible to take the old girl out for a spin without waking up the neighbors, could sneak up on game you are hunting (instead of scaring them off miles away) all while having a conversation with your grandson without having to yell
2) torque - there is no comparison between the torque produced by an electric induction motor and a diesel - if you haven’t driven a Tesla or other EV it is worth it just to get a sense for this
3) relatively easy? - given the original 6.2L engine is the same one used in the K5 chevy blazer, and the information from GM on their EV kit suggests it was designed to “easily” retrofit K5 engines, it appears the swap could be done without undue technical challenges and also maintain most of the original look and feel of the M998
4) too expensive? - we don’t know the cost yet for the kit, and given it is the same components from the existing Chevy Bolt (where the fully loaded top of the line vehicle costs $38k) GM may decide to price the kit modestly to promote adoption and go for volume. Plus EVs are a favorite boondoggle of the new administration in DC so maybe we get massive subsidies to buy green technologies (like there was in the 2009-2016 timeframe); call me crazy but I think it is possible this kit may cost <$10k net of any subsidies
5) coolness factor - how cool would it be to have a M998 that looked OEM that was actually an EV?
6) waste of time? - don’t know about you, but I’m always in the market for good projects - otherwise the wife starts nagging about me doing chores! Or worse, I turn on the television and get depressed with all the nonsense going on in the world...

Closed minded? LOL

This idea of converting a HMMWV to electric is a fool’s errand.

I own 2 Teslas and I know how they work. Power goes directly to the axles to avoid parasitic energy loss from trannies and transfer cases and in our case the axle boxes. Without batteries our vehicles weigh in at 5-10K so add a battery and you have a mass that requires huge amounts of electricity just to move. Combine that with aerodynamics of a brick and requirement to design a battery charging system and cooling system to prevent explosion and this becomes an excercise in futility.

Go out, buy an electric vehicle, and be realistic.

This thread is just not practical with current prices and technology and physics.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, if someone makes their humvee electric, they will have more complaints about noise. All those we dont hear now.
Yeah Action. The real art is designing and placing the four axle motors and designing a battery with enough energy that won’t blow up.

But I get you. It would be quiet enough to hear my wife complain.

ogsched

Closed minded? LOL

This idea of converting a HMMWV to electric is a fool’s errand.

I own 2 Teslas and I know how they work. Power goes directly to the axles to avoid parasitic energy loss from trannies and transfer cases and in our case the axle boxes. Without batteries our vehicles weigh in at 5-10K so add a battery and you have a mass that requires huge amounts of electricity just to move. Combine that with aerodynamics of a brick and requirement to design a battery charging system and cooling system to prevent explosion and this becomes an excercise in futility.

Go out, buy an electric vehicle, and be realistic.

This thread is just not practical with current prices and technology and physics.
Tobash - agree this wouldn’t be for the faint at heart, but it seems to me you are over complicating it. The M998 weighs in at 5200 lbs, and while the electric motor and batteries have serious weight to them, don’t forget a lot of weight will come out. Can remove the stock 6.2L engine, the transmission, the exhaust system, radiator, fuel tank. My assumption is that post conversion the curb weight won’t change much from 5200 lbs. regarding the big technical complications you mention, the eCrate system will apparently ship with a charging and cooling system in addition to the motor, batteries and transmission. I’m sure there will be several other issues to work around, but apparently the ones on your list are part of the kit.

From my standpoint, since we don’t know the cost we can’t rule it out as “too expensive” (yet). However I’m most concerned about the parasitic energy loss from using the OEM drive train. But the EV conversion appeared to be a success for the 1977 K5 blazer, which in theory should have been impacted to a similar extent by those issues. After some poking around, I see that a 1977 K5 weighs 4000 lbs so the added weight of an M998 may be a real issue.

With all that being said, I’m sure someone will try a HMMWV EV conversion, especially once a reasonably priced EV kit hits the market. Ajax, in post #3 to this thread, mentioned he had previously converted a old VW beetle to EV many years back. Will be fun to see someone try it with an M998!

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ogshed

A mass produced Tesla battery costs 30k. The motor refered to in this thread costs over 30k. Odds are you would need two electric motors for a HMMWV.

For that money you can buy a complete electric car or three brand new economy cars.

Like I said... Fools Errand.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks