• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Elec Brakes

MATT

I have got a 2 axle 8000 GVWR military trailer(don't know the model). It had a Deutz engine driven air compressor mounted to it. I want to use it for a flatbed, car hauler, etc.

What are you guys doing about trailer brakes? I think the best option is to convert it to electric brakes. It has air/hydraulic brakes now.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i would have to say it depends on what tow vehicel your using electric brakes work good if used often buy tend to rust when sitting causing the magnets to hang up . the air over hydraulic would be my choice if tow vehicel is equiped

trog

When the brakes are already hydraulic, I would fit a surge actuator tongue, because surge brakes are smoother than electric, and don't need wiring or controller.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trog nailed it. A surge brake unit would probably do it. It would be interesting to see iof you couldn't adapt the surge unit from a 101 trailer. Bet it would work, if you kept the brakes adjusted. Just about any master cylinder has the capacity to run two axles. Electric brakes are a last resort.

Lee in alaska

tanglediver

If you decide on surge brakes, you must specify whether they are drum or disc brakes when you buy the coupler/actuator. They operate at different pressures. Also, it will mean having the original lunette and mount cut off, and the new assembly welded or bolted on.
The electric conversion would mean replacing the backing plates assuming that the drums have armature surfaces for the magnets to grab. If not, the drums would need to be replaced as well.
The third option...is to keep the original lunette, keep the original hydraulic brakes, and swap the pnuematic over hydraulic control with electric over hydraulic control. An electric brake controller under the dash controls a hydraulic pump mounted on the trailer to provide hydraulic brakes. They provide absolutely smooth control, and backing up is not an issue, as with some surge systems.
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Electro/Hydraulic Actuators

MATT

I like the idea of using the electric-hydraulic system. I have had bad experiences with the surge brakes on my friends boat- the brakes drag, backing is a pain, etc.

Seems simple using the electric-hydraulic, I can keep my hydraulic drum brakes and install the electric-hydraulic unit. Do i need a special coupler for this set up? How much $ are these electric-hydraulic units?

thnx

MATT

Found it, about $700 list price. Expensive, but by the time I convert it to electric brakes I won't be far from $700... Replacing backing plates(possibly axles if they don't make a backing plate for these axles), wiring, etc.

hmmmm

Nonotagain

I like the idea of using the electric-hydraulic system. I have had bad experiences with the surge brakes on my friends boat- the brakes drag, backing is a pain, etc.

Seems simple using the electric-hydraulic, I can keep my hydraulic drum brakes and install the electric-hydraulic unit. Do i need a special coupler for this set up? How much $ are these electric-hydraulic units?

thnx
You can keep your present lunette, but why?

You'll change your mind when you see the price of the electro hydraulic unit.

Trailer Parts Superstore - DEXTER Electric / Hydraulic Drum Brake Actuator #K71-650-00

Try this on for size.

Trailer Parts Superstore - TITAN / DICO Model 60Z Lever Lock Drum Brake Actuator

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Dexter unit works great. Our FD converted an M200A1 with 30KW Genset to electric/hydraulic.

Nonotagain

You can keep your present lunette, but why?

What's the lunette?
The lunette is the ring in the front of the trailer that the pintle attaches to.

Unless you need to keep the lunette because you tow with a mil truck, dump it and convert to a 2 or 2 5/16 " ball assembly. It makes towing a lot smoother since there is less play on take-offs and stops.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Depends on what you are pulling it with. If it as a large army vehicle you should be good to go just hooking up the air lines. If you are using a small truck/civy power unit then a surge brakes conversion would be easy. Big old army trucks do not slow down like a car and the electric brake controller may not work well even when set to the most sensitive setting. My experience w/electric brakes is that they are are weak and insensitive. The most important aspect of brakes are, reliability, braking power, then sensitivity. I rebuilt mine with new Dexter stuff and mags- and they still suck.