• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric Fuel Pump advise

Dispatcher7

So I ordered the ACDelco EP158, necessary hose fittings and an inline filter to go before the pump, and the blocking plate.

Since the tank has a sock in it do I need the inline filter? Is it going to cause any issues by installing it? I figure better to be safer than sorry.

My plan is to mount the pump to the frame rail in the engine compartment near the mechanical pump. Connect new hose to the fuel line to the new inline filter than to the pump and from the pump straight up the the existing filter.

Does the inline filter need to be a distance from the pump?

Any reason to run from the new pump to the existing line that goes up the engine and under the intake to the factory filter? Is that route some sort of pre-heater for the fuel?

I planned on tapping into the red wire on the injector pump for power. Is that OK or a bad idea? Where else to get power for the new pump? Safety power shut off? I read some vehicles use a oil pressure switch. Does the 6.2 have this switch or even a place to install one? And if so what switch do I need and where does it go?

Oh, this is an '85 M1009.

Thanks!

chevymike

If you are going electric, electric pumps like to PUSH fuel, not pull it. You want to have the pump as close and low to the fuel tank as you can get it. Up by the mechanical pump is not a good place and will likely cause it to fail sooner than it should and/or not work as well as it should.

cucvrus

So I ordered the ACDelco EP158, necessary hose fittings and an inline filter to go before the pump, and the blocking plate.

Since the tank has a sock in it do I need the inline filter? Is it going to cause any issues by installing it? I figure better to be safer than sorry.

My plan is to mount the pump to the frame rail in the engine compartment near the mechanical pump. Connect new hose to the fuel line to the new inline filter than to the pump and from the pump straight up the the existing filter.

Any reason to run from the new pump to the existing line that goes up the engine and under the intake to the factory filter? Is that route some sort of pre-heater for the fuel?

I planned on tapping into the red wire on the injector pump for power. Is that OK or a bad idea? Where else to get power for the new pump? Safety power shut off? I read some vehicles use a oil pressure switch. Does the 6.2 have this switch or even a place to install one? And if so what switch do I need and where does it go?

Thanks!
WHY? 38 years of a great design and the cost of a $50. fuel pump you are going to hack the electrical system. Just want to know the gain here. Good Luck.

Skinny

Yeah man it worked fine in stock form and it's a design that is used by almost every vehicle of that vintage.

If you are installing this to band aid something else wrong like long crank times you have other issues.

Sure I get it if you are putting a turbo on and want to use the FP plate for the oil return ok fine. But even then you should do it right and weld a bung on the pan.

I just don't see why people go out of their way to mod a part of the system that works fine. I've had new fuel parts in for a decade and never had a problem with them.

LT67

Thanks!
Is your existing lift pump not working? If it is not, delphi chfp906 is the correct mechanical lift pump. Delphi mf30030 WILL NOT WORK even though it's listed at auto parts retailers.

I had to put a new lift pump on my 86 M1008 last year. The Delphi chfp906 works just fine. The only time you will need an electric lift pump is if you swap a 6.5 in there.

As the old saying goes; if it ain't broke, don't fix it

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks!
I looked up the part you are using and found it a replacement for the 6.5...from what I found it's pressures should work fine for the 6.2...I'd mount it on the frame down by the tank though...I did see that there is no mount kit with the pump so you'd have to make one...these are self priming so it could be mounted up front as well but by the tank would be my preference...can easily flare the line coming from the tank to the new pump with the correct fittings to make a tight seal....the filter should be before the pump in this instance...it keeps the pump from getting debris in it...if it comes with a generic filter I'd look for one that you can find anywhere so it can be replaced easily...the sock does the big stuff, I read you are keeping the factory filter which is good...can't filter the fuel to much...as far as power goes I would not tap into anything in the engine to power it directly...I'd do a relay, simple 4 prong gm relay, with it setup to turn on with key and start power with a fused line going to the relay and pump...You'd have to look up how much this pump needs for amps to know what sized fuse to use...the oil switch is used as the ground if the engine doesn't have oil pressure...it does have the delayed few seconds of no fuel as it takes a few to get pressure which is good in the winter but not needed really...I've seen more oil pressure switches fail than engines...this should be very simple to do and in reality you can leave the stock pump in place and just hook the 2 lines going in and out of it together...keeps it simple if you need to use it again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks