• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric hmmwv

donquijote

Just happen to see this while I was catching up on my YouTube vids.

Should be interesting to see how this conversion turns out.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Action

Front tires are 1” from the hood? The original posts video showed one motor. The last video linked stated 2 motors. Are those the same hmmwv?

donquijote

Front tires are 1” from the hood? The original posts video showed one motor. The last video linked stated 2 motors. Are those the same hmmwv?
My video is a different guy. So it looks like there are two people who have converted. The first video is only using that one big custom electric motor, and he looks like he's putting components in a different config.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will admit that I am intrigued but it will be $$$. With that much HP / Torque, it will also be interesting to see what other components will need to be modified or swapped out due to premature failure. But good luck on the build.
- HoveringHHMWV

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So today (29 SEPT 2021) JerryRig Everything has caught up to 'present' day with his Electric HMMWV videos. Today was an electric power steering. He also announced that he will be taking a short break as he and his wife are expecting.

Overall, a lot of what he's done, I've really liked. Not a fan of the taillight swap, but hey, it's not mine. It's been very interesting watching and I'm looking forward to him figuring out the batteries.

tgejesse

So today (29 SEPT 2021) JerryRig Everything has caught up to 'present' day with his Electric HMMWV videos. Today was an electric power steering. He also announced that he will be taking a short break as he and his wife are expecting.

Overall, a lot of what he's done, I've really liked. Not a fan of the taillight swap, but hey, it's not mine. It's been very interesting watching and I'm looking forward to him figuring out the batteries.
Just finished watching it! Wish I had a garage, I would be doing an electric conversion as well!

jrtoffroad

Just finished watching it! Wish I had a garage, I would be doing an electric conversion as well!
I seriously looked into an electric conversion for my CJ7. Not so much because I want electric power (I quite like a big healthy v8), but because I fear about long term fuel cost and access given the heavy gov push to electrification. The approximate cost with a used tesla motor and batteries, and a new standalone controller was on the order of $35k. I'm sure people have managed to do it much cheaper, but that's what I came up with. I wasn't interested in a proof of concept conversion that allowed me to drive down to my mailbox at 10mph, but a conversion that offered 300+hp and would keep my jeep fun and have decent range offroad. Needless to say the jeep is being repowered with a healthy LS3.

I think some of the electric conversions are really cool, and probably really fun to drive, but it seems the aftermarket is way behind the OEM's. What can be achieved for a reasonable cost for battery capacity and motor power in a new vehicle is extremely expensive in the aftermarket. Personally, I have no interest in driving around in a new Iphone the decides how I get to use it... A hmmwv with great range and power that does what it's told and doesn't require a second mortgage on my house? You have my interest.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seriously looked into an electric conversion for my CJ7. Not so much because I want electric power (I quite like a big healthy v8), but because I fear about long term fuel cost and access given the heavy gov push to electrification. The approximate cost with a used tesla motor and batteries, and a new standalone controller was on the order of $35k. I'm sure people have managed to do it much cheaper, but that's what I came up with. I wasn't interested in a proof of concept conversion that allowed me to drive down to my mailbox at 10mph, but a conversion that offered 300+hp and would keep my jeep fun and have decent range offroad. Needless to say the jeep is being repowered with a healthy LS3.

I think some of the electric conversions are really cool, and probably really fun to drive, but it seems the aftermarket is way behind the OEM's. What can be achieved for a reasonable cost for battery capacity and motor power in a new vehicle is extremely expensive in the aftermarket. Personally, I have no interest in driving around in a new Iphone the decides how I get to use it... A hmmwv with great range and power that does what it's told and doesn't require a second mortgage on my house? You have my interest.
TIME

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks