• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric Horn Location?

Jonathan M

Well I bought a 1983 AM General M923. Against all advice I am attempting to get it to pass inspection so I can use it for things other than parades and the such and not have to worry about the long arm of the law. A mechanic tells me I must have a functional city (electric) horn, among many other things. My working air horn is not going to get me through inspection. OK, so I bought a 24 volt military horn and dash button. Now the question is where should I mount it? As far as I know the truck never had one. I was thinking of mounting it to the frame tucked in under the radiator on the passenger side but only because I don't know any better. I searched the internet for pictures of an electric horn mounted on a similar truck but came up with nothing. Is there a proper location for an electric horn on the M939 series?

Picture of the horn I bought at this link.... https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-33652407708730/24-volt-horn-for-military-vehicles-m151-m715-etc-10.jpg

74M35A2

Welcome and congrats. Real trucks have air horns (looking at your sig line). Not sure your mechanic is correct, air horn should also suffice?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are trying to satisfy your mechanic, I'd ask him where to place the horn and switch.

I think he's wrong.

CMPPhil

Hi

Push a tennis ball into the trumpet of your air horn, makes a good mute for a short toot. Very pleasant sound. If a more definitive warning is needed just hold the horn for a long blast. After a moment there will be a pop as the tennis ball is fired as a visual warning along with loud blast of the horn.

If you have twin air horns mounted on the cab roof I suggest one green and one orange tennis ball.

If you wonder how this was discovered? Was testing air horns in the shop, loud, so grabbed two balls and them stuffed in the horns. First toot, nice. Long blast bounced of the balls off the shop door.

But back to your original question, did the mechanic check for a backup warning horn? I would suggest a location down near the bumper out side the engine compartment, the horn has to be louder than than background noise of the truck.

Cheers Phil

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes most states require electric horns, the rationale behind this is that air may go away so no warning horn where a electric horn only needs a electric source to be active, I know this is not very realistic being that if air goes away, the truck is not going anywhere so a warning horn is not needed, BUT who ever said that bureaucrats were realistic.

Gunzy

Mount it right behind the grill. I have a HEMTT that has both air and electric horns from the factory and the electric one is just behind the grill.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Mount it to the flat spot under your hood just below the headlight. This is between the bumper and hood in that little gap. Nice little wide spot and it is there so atleast sound can get out. paint in green and noone will notice it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks